x

Why does it take new customers 10-15 seconds to show up in the Customer Directory?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: New Customer takes 10-15 seconds to show up in Customer Directory]

When using our physical Square POS (not online dashboard) and inputting a new customer, we click save and then it takes 10-15 seconds before the customer can be found via the search function in upper left. We immediately search for the last name of the customer and it doesn't find it. I just delete it and then after 4-5 searches, it shows.

Our customer directory is probably approaching 800 customers. Does that affect the speed at which we can access new customers? Does the database need to be compressed? Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @SWEATLRSS-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Sorry to hear about the delay you've been experiencing when searching for customers in your Directory on the Square app. Before I look into this, I have a few questions:

1. What device are you using? (iPad? Tablet? iPhone? Android?)
  2. When was the last time you updated the software on  your device? 
  3. Is the Square app up to date on your device? 

Let me know so we can look into this further. Having 800 customers in your Directory should not be impacting the speed. However, it could have to do with the storage space on the device itself that would be causing delays in apps. I'll look forward to your reply! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 8

Thanks for the reply, @isabelle .

Here is the information requested:

We're using an iPad 6th Gen (Model# MR7G2LL/A). 32GB capacity, 17GB available.

Square software version 5.31.2 from Feb 3rd, 2020

iOS version 13.3.1.

Any idea what might be going on? Maybe a reinstall of the software?

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sending over that information, @SWEATLRSS - we appreciate it! I will step in here in Isabelle's absence. 

Would you mind trying these general app troubleshooting steps? I would like to see if we can nip this in the bud from a software standpoint.

If that doesn't work, please let me know! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

@Joe 

I tried everything in the Troubleshooting and nothing works. I uninstalled the app, power cycled the iPad, reinstalled the app, gave access, logged in, same thing.

The only workaround we've found is to close it, double click on home and swipe it closed. Relaunch it and it'll pull everything from the cloud (I assume). This takes about 5 seconds as opposed to 15+ seconds waiting for it function normally.

I think the issue is when you enter in a new customer, it saves it to the cloud but it doesn't pull down a copy of it immediately or update the local copy of it. Once we close and relaunch it, we're forcing it to pull a new copy down and that's the only way we can make it work.

Any other ideas to try?

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

Hi @SWEATLRSS,

Stepping in for @Joe here. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You've pretty much done all software troubleshooting recommended. I have escalated this case to our Customer Success team. They will be reviewing this, and will be reaching out soon with an update. Keep an eye on your email inbox.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.  

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 8

Thank you @Alex_ , @Joe and @isabelle for your time with this issue.

As you can imagine, this is quite frustrating and puzzling. We 'only' input about 3-5 new customers per day so it could be worse, but at least we have a workaround of force closing the app and then re-opening it.

I look forward to a response from the Customer Success Team.

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hey @SWEATLRSS-

Thank you for your reply, and your patience with this.

I went ahead and reached out to the Customer Success team member that will be reaching out via email. They're aware of what has been happening, and will send you some troubleshooting steps, along with your customer code if you'd like to give them a call. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you out with. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 8