x

Why isn't my custom domain connecting? Something went wrong error?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Custom Domain Not Connecting]

I am trying to connect a custom domain to my square store site. I have already changed my records in my DNS on GoDaddy using the documentation. When I go through the process to publish my site using the custom domain, I get an error message that says: "Something went wrong and we could not publish your store". It does not give any other details. 

It has only been 5 hours since I changed the records but last time I did it with another Weebly site it only took about 30 min. so I don't think the time is the issue.

Any ideas/tips to try?

Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Edit: I see what's happening. The domain is still assigned to a site in a regular Weebly account. You'll need to change the address of that website to something else to free it up first, and then set that as the address of your Square Online Store.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Square Community Moderator

Glad to hear, @StudioMarnie 😊 Thanks for confirming! 

Message 22 of 33

Hi, @AdamB 

I've been searching for an answer on why I can't connect my domain to the website I built on Squareup. My old website, that was hosted on Bluehost, was built in weebly 10 years ago and I recently rebuilt my website & moved my domain name to Square's name server so that I would have one solution provider.

For my "old" website, peaceinthepause.com, I accessed the Weebly builder through the Bluehost web platform. When I look to see where I can change the site name of my old webpage I don't see the last step you noted.

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Be well,

Gretchen

Message 23 of 33

Hi @gschutte 👋 Violet here, stepping in for @AdamB

You'll need to follow the instructions listed here if you're wanting to connect your domain to Square Online. Please note: Using a custom domain name requires an upgrade on your Square Online site. If you prefer to manage your website and third-party domain together, you can transfer your domain as well.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 33

Hi, 

What if it's now 2023 and we keep getting pushed to square login when trying to access the weebly site to free up the domain to make the connection?

Message 25 of 33

I purchased my domain through GoDaddy, it is a .com. I successfully linked that to my Square/Weebly account. I have the opportunity to purchase my domain with a .net etc. Can I or how do I link those with my current site? I just have the personal plan for weebly.
Message 26 of 33
Admin

Hey @uniquegirlsbeadCheck this thread! This should help you out but let us know if you have other questions.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 27 of 33

I connected my custom domain through Namecheap but my site is not connecting. I am getting a "domain not connected to a website" when I go to my address. I added the correct IP address in Namecheap. My site is www.paulawestpottery.com. Oddly I have gotten email sign ups form my new site since publishing. It has been 24 hours.

Thanks!

Message 28 of 33

why cant I connect my domain to weebly/square it says something went wrong

Message 29 of 33

Hi @aliciashun Welcome to the Community 🎉

Can you let us know the domain name you are trying to connect? 

Message 30 of 33

also per these instructions i do not see the store tab at the top of the screen

1. Log in to your Weebly dashboard (on www.weebly.com).
  2. At the top of your screen, click the Store tab.
  3. On the left side, you’ll see a menu. Select Setup (at the bottom of the list) and then select Checkout.
  4. Find Square and select Connect.
  5. Log in with your Square username and password. Click Allow on the permissions page to allow Square and Weebly to connect to each other.
Message 31 of 33

I'm having the same issue. I bought the domain name and never used it before; made my website and tried connecting the domain but i haven't received any verification nor has the website worked yet but says published.

Message 32 of 33

Hi @EarthlyP - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your domain has brought you to the Seller Community 😞

This does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you, which we aren't able to do via the Seller Community. If the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread haven't helped, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 33 of 33