x

printer prints out blank recipes

I have everything set up with square stand using I pad and everything is connected and everything works fine except when I go to give customer a reciept it just prints out blank paper.  Even I do test print same thing. Using thermal printer with USB thermal paper but everything just comes out blank.

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

First, make sure you paper is not in there backwards. It should come off the roll from the bottom not the top.  Two, make sure it is thermal paper, if you run your fingernail acrossed it does it turn black? Check both sides.  The side that turns black is the print side.  If it doesn't you don't have thermal paper.  If it is the correct paper and is fed correctly then it may be a back printer and the thermal print head is not heating up.

You can plug the printer into a computer and do a test print to see if it works too.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

First, make sure you paper is not in there backwards. It should come off the roll from the bottom not the top.  Two, make sure it is thermal paper, if you run your fingernail acrossed it does it turn black? Check both sides.  The side that turns black is the print side.  If it doesn't you don't have thermal paper.  If it is the correct paper and is fed correctly then it may be a back printer and the thermal print head is not heating up.

You can plug the printer into a computer and do a test print to see if it works too.

Message 2 of 11

I am having the same issue with Star TSP100III printer. Not thermal. Everything is working fine except nothing printed on the reciept.

Message 3 of 11

Anyone with help on the above question?

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller

With the TSP100 you can print a self-test by holding down the feed button when you power the printer on. Does it print anything on the test? If not, check to make sure the ribbon is in front of the print head but behind the little guides. Can't tell you how long it took me to figure that one out... 😕

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for responding. Self-test is blank, I don't see a ribon. Could it actually be a thermal and they sent me the wrong tape?

Message 6 of 11
Super Seller

Yeah... my fault. I got the model numbers mixed up. The T100 is a thermal printer. I bet all will work well once you have thermal paper in it.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 7 of 11

Yes, I walked down the street and grabed some paper and everything is fine now. Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 11

Still printing a full sheet of black intermitily. Orders are coming through, but every 10-15 minutes it will print black through an order. Hardware issue??

Message 9 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Bayarea448

What kind of printer and setup are you working with? Are there any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, just so I don't repeat them? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11
Super Seller

Hey @Kassi_ ... not sure what all @Bayarea448 has tried for troubleshooting, but I can tell you that I saw a few fully black tickets on Saturday as well. For me, they only came from KioskBuddy orders via the API, and it only happened three times in about 2 hours. I have not seen it appear since. Random gremlin?? 🤔

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 11 of 11