x

sales tax

I currently have my sales tax set to 8.6% (which is the correct amount for my location) but I noticed yesterday that the Square POS that I have is collecting the sales tax at 7.86%... I double checked the settings and it is set correctly, so I am unsure how to rectify the issue.  I have only been using the system for sales for about a week so I am glad I caught it early but I don't know if it has been doing this the whole time or if there is a glitch that just started? Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix it so that I'm not having to cut into my profit for the difference?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for bringing this up and welcome to the Seller Community! Do you have any example transactions you can show so we can get a closer idea of what you are looking at? Please be sure to hide any sensitive information (customer name, card info) before doing do.

Also, this is typically caused by a few things:

1: Make sure you have tax applied to ALL of your items as well as to custom amounts. For the sales that you noticed having the tax incorrectly calculated, please check each item to make sure the tax is supposed to be applied to it.

2: Make sure you are calculating the tax per transaction and not from your gross sales, as that could throw off the reporting

3: We use banker's rounding for our taxes and fees, so double check you are also doing the same. 

Let me know if any of those tips worked and if you have any followup questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2