x

I need specific help on which hardware to purchase

I did read the link about which hardware to purchase, but I don't feel like I got a clear answer from that article. I'm opening a small country market on a limited budget. I am going to sell convenience store items, a few groceries, some farmers market produce and local items, and then I'm going to have a small deli with a limited menu. I think I will be pretty busy and keep a steady clientele. I'm not sure if I need hardware set up for retail or restaurant. I would love advice on what to purchase. 

Andrea Monk
Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ABMonk I would recommend using the point of sale app.  Purchase a current edition i-pad, square stand, with card reader (dip+tap), printer driven cash drawer, and printer.  This is the best all round set up that is professional, low maintenance, and can handle expanding.  You can upgrade the point of sale app to the restaurant app later on if you feel you need it.

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/ipad-air-wifi-pos-kit 

This is a great set up that all you need is wifi and you can do anything with this.  If you have an ipad just get the appropriate stand, or you can bundle one with it.  This is what I use and I do counter service restaurants with hundreds of orders a day and sell retail like a candy shop etc.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@ABMonk I would recommend using the point of sale app.  Purchase a current edition i-pad, square stand, with card reader (dip+tap), printer driven cash drawer, and printer.  This is the best all round set up that is professional, low maintenance, and can handle expanding.  You can upgrade the point of sale app to the restaurant app later on if you feel you need it.

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/ipad-air-wifi-pos-kit 

This is a great set up that all you need is wifi and you can do anything with this.  If you have an ipad just get the appropriate stand, or you can bundle one with it.  This is what I use and I do counter service restaurants with hundreds of orders a day and sell retail like a candy shop etc.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 5

Soooo helpful! Thank you!

Andrea Monk
Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

I would go with the IPad in Square Stand setup. You can grab the bundle which includes the Tap/Chip reader for under 200 bucks. Add a used IPad and you’re up and running. I don’t use a receipt printer and hasn’t been an issue with customers. I just grabbed a cash drawer insert from a broken cash register and slipped it into a regular drawer built into my sales counter instead of the cash drawer that works with the square app. Been running like this for 8 years now and it will save you a lot of money getting started

Message 4 of 5

Thank you so much! I found a great deal on a bundle with a receipt printer, stand, and cash drawer on Amazon. It's an Amazon warehouse find, do if there are problems I'll send it back and give your suggestion a try. It does seem like a really quick and easy way to get up and running! Thank you for taking the time to share your operation!

Andrea Monk
Message 5 of 5