x
Beta Member

Need Square's CNAME URL

I have the IP provided by Square for the Cname, but my Wix site is requiring the URL. How can I get the URL?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

HI, what are you trying to do with your domain?  You have a store with Wix.  Is your domain with Square? or with a domain provider like GoDaddy?

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

My domain is with Wix, and I'm trying to open a Square Online store.  I never had an e-commerce with Wix - just a website.

Square gave me an A record, which is fine (Wix accepted that) but they won't accept the Cname Square gave me since it's an IP and not a URL.

Message 3 of 14

HI, since the domain is with Wix you can see their policy on their Support Page

https://support.wix.com/en/article/connecting-a-wix-domain-to-an-external-site

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

Yes, I'm aware of that.  What I can't get is the correct Cname records from Square.  Square is giving me an IP, and WIx is requiring a URL.  Very frustrating.

Message 5 of 14

HI, the page states 

"Make sure to let your new site host know you need to point your domain to them without changing name servers as this is not possible with a Wix domain. "

What you are trying to do is not something Square can do.  The Wix domain can not be adjusted for an outside website.  

"If you're required to change the name servers, you'll need to transfer your domain away from Wix to connect it."

You can do a full transfer.  Be aware it takes up to 14 business days.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

Thank you.  I misread that. 🙂

Message 7 of 14
Beta Member

The only reason I was trying to keep the domain with Wix is Square said it was nontransferable.  I've gone back to WIX, changed the A records back to default and I have a transfer code, but still nothing.  Any help you can provide greatly appreciated. 🙂

Message 8 of 14

HI, a transfer code?  You requested the domain be transferred?  So, it will take up to 14 business days.  You should get an email when its done.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 9 of 14
Beta Member

I'm fine with 14 days, but I don't currently have any way of knowing if it's "working."  I called Square and they said to talk to Wix (I'm waiting on Wix).  I have the code, but it's only good for 7 days and Square doesn't want it.  I tried to pay the $12 to Square to transfer, but the system said it's not transferable.  Hopefully Wix has better news. 😞

Message 10 of 14

@MagpieIdaho Hey how did this finally go for you? I am faced with the same challenge now and would appreciate any help.

On Friday I added the Square IP address to the A (Host) in my WIX domain. However, I failed to delete the old IP addresses related to the current website addresses associated with Squarespace. 48 hours later no propagation. So I deleted all IP addresses except the IP provided by Square. Now I wait...

In the meantime, I am under the impression because I populated the A (Host) with a new IP address that I cannot transfer my domain from Wix to Google for 60 days. Can you confirm if this is true? Did you have this happen to you?

And the CNAMES listed on the WIX DNS CNAMES are still associated with my old web host squarespace "ext.customer.squarespace.com" I am not sure what to do with these. Did you use square's free subdomain as an alias to point to?

Did you end up transferring out of WIX?

How did you solve this?

How long did it take? 

We have a big launch on Monday 10/31/22 and I can't risk messing up this website migration over to my custom domain. Help! Thanks.

Message 11 of 14

I have the same issue as mentioned above.

How did you end up transferring out of WIX?

How did you solve this?

So confusing on both ends. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello @mic2024- I see this is your first post in the Seller Community, so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

You need to delete the Wix A-records and use the Square IP, 199.34.228.164. These 3 a-records at the bottom need to be deleted.  I hope this helps! 

Message 13 of 14

Thanks! I deleted the records (including the CNAME) record and now my Square website is using my Wix purchased domain.

My issue now is that the site address is showing a "not secure" error on Chrome browner. How do I get a SSL certificate for my site?

Message 14 of 14