x

2yr planned obsolescence on readers?

I just started my 3rd yr in business and I am now on my 3rd square reader. The customer service representative told me their life span is between 1-2 yrs..  The obvious issue with that is the waste of resource for short term profits. I'm sure it's not much, but it's enough for Square to make them last for only 1-2 yrs. The other issues are the time, aggravation and inconvenience that this creates for Square customers. I've delt with this 3 times in 3 yrs and I'm already tired of it. If Square doesn't address this soon, I'm taking my business elsewhere. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hello @EndlessPaws I'm sorry you're having trouble with this. I don't know the exact cause, but the manufacturing may be using the most cost effective components to try and balance out the affordability to offer readers at an affordable cost. Are you using the phone magstripe (swipe) reader? Or are you using the contactless chip reader? I'd recommend using at a minimum the contactless chip reader; it's designed to take chip tap payments as well as payments from phones and other mobile devices. There could be less wear-and-tear on these readers since its' not moving around with your phone and can remain more stationary.

If you're processing a lot of payments, you could also look into a Terminal or Square Register. I've used the same Register for more than 4 years with no trouble, but this depends on how mobile you are in your business and the ability to take payments. There are multiple ways besides the basic reader to take payments.

You also have the ability to process payments through your Square Dashboard, as well as a desktop app. These may also be another option for you. I hope you'll be able to find a better solution that will last and meet your processing needs.

Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

@EndlessPaws Yes, The first question I would have is are you using the mag stripe headphone jack reader or the contactless chip reader.  I have had contactless chip readers last 5 years, but I was using them in the holder with a square stand.  Which one are you using?  Also, have you seen that newer apple phones can take contactless payments with square?  Most people have chip/tap cards now and that might be an option.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 3 of 3