x
Super Seller

Feature Request: Request billing address with shipping address during online checkout

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Require Billing Address during Checkout

We use Square Online (Weebly) for delivery and pickup orders for our restaurants. Since switching to Weebly, we have been hit with non-stop fraud. We have set our store to require a billing address, yet the checkout process does not require it. 

Why isn't this setting working? I do not want to accept any card where the billing address is not provided and/or does not match the card billing address to try and reduce the amount of fraud. Additionally, I only want to allow delivery where the billing address and delivery address match.

Simply having the card#, CVV, and billing zip code is not enough to protect us from credit card fraud. 

This is a problem that has cost us almost $1k in the past 2-3 months and we need a resolution to this issue.

Serving the best empanadas in Brooklyn - PERIOD!
Message 1 of 94
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Request billing address with shipping address during online checkout

The updated checkout and info collection features are available on our free tier of Square Online.

We can provide a bit of info that should help explain why you may not be seeing this field on your website:

• Only our updated Square Online checkout experience includes this new feature.

• Unfortunately that new experience isn’t compatible with some of integrations/code you may be using on your sites. We’re aware of this - and hope to bring the improvements to sites using these integrations on their sites in the coming months.
    • That being said, if you remove the integrations that are not currently supported, you should be seeing a billing address field!

• These improvements were only introduced to Square Online, not Weebly. We encourage you to consider moving over to a Square Online website if you would like to gain access to our newest features as they become available.

• If your site is built on another platform - like WooCommerce - checkout features like this one would be offered by them. We recommend reaching out to your provider for more information.

If this doesn't quite answer your concerns, we encourage you to reach out directly so our team can take a peek at what you've got going on and dig deeper with you than we're able to here!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We launched this feature last Friday, y'all! 

You can now opt in to always collecting buyer address for each of your fulfillment types. Once you do, a new Billing Address section will be included at checkout for buyers for orders, with the billing address showing up in their order details as expected.

You can find this feature by logging in your Square Online overview page > Settings > Checkout > Advanced Settings

This is what your customers will see:

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 65 of 94
93 REPLIES 93
Admin

@AleFirePDX Selling physical gift cards from your Online Store is currently a feature request. If you're selling eGift cards from your site, customers shouldn't have to enter a shipping address. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 22 of 94

The problem we're having is when someone wants to buy product as a gift.

For example:

Mom lives in Arizona and son lives in Colorado.

Mom wants to buy a bunch of our products and have them shipped to son.

With the current setup (only one address available), she can only accomplish this by entering HER information in the address field and making a note in the comments that she wants it sent to her son at [separate address]. This does two things: 1) shipping is incorrectly calculated to billing address and 2) mom is mad because we have to call her to sort things out.

Most sites have an option to enter the billing address and a checkbox to tick when shipping address is the same (with the option of entering a different address). We need to add this option to our checkout process. How do we do this?

Message 23 of 94

We have the same issue as Balmonte and AleFirePDX. People want to purchase product as a gift and have it sent to recipient, different address from the buyer. MOST online shopping is like this....Square needs to step up and join the process since that is why small businesses are using Square!

The "always collect billing address" for digital, etc. everything else EXCEPT products doesn't make any sense. FYI, I have all the options checked and it still doesn't collect both addresses.

Buyers who cannot figure out our "add your ship to address in the Notes to Seller" (which doesn't appear until AFTER they enter their credit card) just give up. And we lose a sale.

Please Fix this.

Thank you 

Message 24 of 94

Hi all! I’m just transitioning my online store from GoDaddy to Square. I’m an online only shop without any physical store. I was making sure the checkout page looked okay and all fields were there when I noticed there is no option for a separate shipping address. Example: I order a scarf for my Daughter who lives in a different state. I want it shipped to her. How can I set it up to have the customers fill in billing and shipping addresses? I’ve looked everywhere and can not find it.

Thanks in advance!

Message 25 of 94

Hi, One of my stores is a gift store, I understand its a clear indication of how the purchase is being completed so I did a test checkout on my site.  The "Shipping Information" would be the the person receiving the product.  The "Payment Information" would be the buyer's information (credit card).   It does look different from other checkout platforms.

Hope this helps!

Terri

🛍 Shop my stores

Personalized Gifts - name-gift-box.square.site

Home Decor - enhance-home.square.site

Resale Collection - hanger-hues.square.site

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 26 of 94

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Feature Request: Billing address requirement Square online

Please take into consideration to include a billing address requirement for square online. Since square didn't want to add this requirement, many people order online and then later on say that the payment was unknown and business owners will end up needing to send the money back to them after they collected their orders. All this because Square wanted to speed up the check-out process instead of having a better security system for the small business owners that use square. 

Message 27 of 94
Square Community Moderator

Hi @kevinlee1521 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us and taking the time to make your post here on the Seller Community! Happy to see new faces join us.

I am going to flag your post over to our Ecomm teams for further visibility. As with all Feature Requests, we will be able to bounce back here and let you know if any positive updates are generated in regards to this feature.

Just to make sure I am understanding fully here, would you mind clarifying how billing address additions would be helpful for your business? Are you requesting billing information for security purposes?

Joe
Message 28 of 94

Billing address would be beneficial because it verifies that it is their physical card they are ordering with. It is a sense of security that verifies that the customer is using their actual card instead of a stolen one.

Message 29 of 94

It's caused my first chargeback EVER in 21 years.  Thanks a lot Square!  And I doubt it will be the last time either.  This isn't a 'feature' that needs to be developed and added!  It was already there, at least for all us Weebly site owners.

Message 30 of 94

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Billing and shipping addresses

I am new to Square Online, and have been successful in setting up and beginning to take orders. However, I am wondering if there is a way to include both a Billing Address and a Shipping address at checkout. I am collecting dues for an organization, and many members pay by credit card and need to use their billing address for the card, but wish to have the subscription materials sent to a different (e.g., institutional) address. We also have institutional members, and there are different billing and shipping addresses (e.g., accounts payable and library addresses, respectively). Is this possible?

Message 31 of 94
Alumni

Hello there @ISHBH - this is a great question! While it isn't currently possible to collect a billing address in addition to the shipping address collected at checkout during an online order, I definitely see how this could be useful - or necessary, in some cases.

Our Square Online team has been hard at work creating new features to help smooth out your customers' online experiences, so I'll be sure to pop back and provide an update here when this feature is available. I've moved your post to this thread where others asked about this so that we can notify everyone here when this is a reality!

Valentina
Message 32 of 94

I'm extremely confused.  How is collecting billing information "not possible"??!  I've had an online retail company for 21 years now and I've used at LEAST four different credit card processing methods and companies and for every single one it has been STANDARD to collect, and provide me with, billing information.  Address, name, phone and email along with the last 4 digits of the credit card.  This is not abnormal or rocket science.  This is basic stuff!  And, as a Weebly website owner, I've had access to that information since I joined Weebly about 6-8 years ago.  It wasn't until summer of 2020 that Square suddenly decided to remove all of that info and ONLY provide the zip, phone and email.  Nothing else at all.  I have no idea who's ordering, where they are, if that address matches the shipping address.  I can't appropriately thank them for their order, gift recipients don't know who this gift came from (I had people calling me on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, along with many other times, asking "Who sent this stuff?" to which I say "I'm sorry, but I don't know." !!), I can't check for fraud at all.....this is crazy and extremely irresponsible of Square. 

Message 33 of 94

Seem like an easy fix? Can you push to make this an option? we should have the choice for our customers. No Bueno. TIA

Message 34 of 94

Can you please tell me HOW "it isn't currently possible to collect a billing address" when that's exactly how orders through Weebly (Square) have worked for many years and I've also been able to easily obtain that basic info for over TWENTY YEARS as an online retailer using multiple different payment platforms??  Just because Square has decided their clients now don't get to have that information in order to conduct normal business and protect themselves from fraudulent transactions does not mean you get to avoid the truth (in other words....LIE).  I've gotten so many orders now since you stopped providing the buyer's information that I have no idea WHO I'm emailing or calling, IF the shipping and billing address match....I can't check for fraud or ANYTHING.  And, yes, I've had chargebacks because I can't protect myself and my business!  Chargebacks don't mean anything to you...but a $700 chargeback means EVERYTHING to my tea shop!!!!

Message 35 of 94

There are more and more people on here and this has been ongoing for quite sometime. It seems square is ignoring us completely . I just got an email with a bunch of new upgrades and I was sure hoping the fix would be there. Nope it basically a bunch of nice frills for your site, which is great and all but come on. I understand that some businesses do not need the option and is time consuming if you are ordering a quick to go meal or something. But it is an easy fix to have choice. Check mark the BOX to include it and check mark a box to not include it. Where is the support team that was going to check back in? Where is Joe, Valentina and Niki?

SQUARE GET THIS FIX MOVED TO THE TOP OF YOUR LIST!

Message 36 of 94

Hi Valentina, It's been 6 months and you have not popped back in here. Meanwhile we are all left on our own with a very important issue. We get those updates about what all square is doing and adding. Fluff and frill features are great but again, this is a simple fix to an ongoing problem for many of us. I have spoken to a few web designers and all say it could be done with very minimal time and is standard in pretty much all  online checkouts. PLEASE CARE & PLEASE HELP!

Message 37 of 94

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you LWalker.  As soon as they 'answer' a comment....crickets.  They haven't thought about our billing address problem since this whole thread started.  And they don't have to rewrite, recode or redo anything.  This was already normal practice, they REMOVED it.  So all they have to do is reinstall, restart....check a box, whatever!!!  It comes down to who's rear end is on the line and they are protecting THEIR bottom $, not ours.  It covers THEM by not allowing us to know who's buying our products and services....that is really all they care about.  If we left Square for another payment processor, they might start caring.....

Message 38 of 94

So it seems Mary896! I just got an order from a long time customer. She was ordering for her mom. She had to email me because she kept thinking somewhere in the process she was going to be able to add the ship to address. Now it's a mess because of course the label is set to ship to her not her mother. 

Message 39 of 94
Alumni

I bubbled up the recent feedback about this feature to our team directly, and while we do not have an update to share at this time about when you'll see the billing address reintroduced to the checkout flow, they did provide some context about why we removed the billing address in the first place. The goal was to make it easier and quicker for buyers to check out, so that businesses leveraging their Square Online websites in the spring of 2020 would receive more online sales.

When we have news to share about the reintroduction of billing address collection to your Square Online website checkout flow, we'll be sure to write up a new post here to let everyone know about the change, so stay subscribed to this thread @LWalker + @mary896!

Valentina
Message 40 of 94

It is good to know that we aren't being ghosted by Square, at least we hope not.  You can bet that we won't forget or stop trying to get this put back into normal retail transactions.  It is VITAL to know who is buying our products (duh!).  Thank you for letting us know this might actually be fixed....someday....maybe.

Message 41 of 94

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Re: Obtaining postal address for an online donation?

We have the same issue! I see the original post was dated 2016. Pretty disappointing that Square has not implemented a way to require a mailing address for donations yet (now almost 2021)!

Message 42 of 94