x

Prevent Credit Card Disputes for Online Orders- we recently lost a dispute for a Square online order

Aside from the Square best practices to prevent disputes and losing them, how do you best protect your business from losing disputes?  We lost a fairly large dispute and we follow Square Best Practices.  Seems like we are vulnerable to dishonest customers who can dispute the charge on a whim.   

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

HI, unfortunately all businesses are open to chargebacks, card disputes, dishonest customers all day everyday.  There is no quick fix for this ever increasing problem.  All payment providers deal with this issue thousand times a day.  It is the reality of a business to have loss built into their finances.  Guess, not what you wanted to hear.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 5

As a small business we are open targets to online Credit Card Scammers, dishonest people who claim not to have receieved the product even though I supply the shipping info, with signatures, I always loose my dispute cases with the CC companies.

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @KNavidi 

I know the process surrounding disputes can be super frustrating. 

Square doesn’t decide who wins or loses a dispute—that’s up to the bank that issued your customer’s credit card (like Visa or MasterCard).

However, you have a better chance of avoiding future disputes by following a few best practices. Please see this article from our Support Center for further details.

I hope this information is helpful. 

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Hello Turkey,

I have to agree with @Goldneye, there's no one easy solution - sadly, we all take the same risk regardless if selling online or in person.  The thoughts below help you to minimize the risks with honest people however, not so honest people have their own agenda.  Seems the credit card issuers side with the customer claim most of the time and the small business owner takes the hit.

* Clear Communication
* Accurate Product or Service Descriptions
* Secure Transactions
* Responsive Customer Service
* Quality Control of Products and Services
* Clear Billing
* Timely Shipping and Delivery
* Documentation - Detailed records of Transactions
* Regular Reviews of Transactions and Customer Feedback
* Fraud Prevention Measures like Fraud Detection Tools and Monitoring Systems

Message 5 of 5