x

Unable to use gift card for partial payment. "Insufficient funds"

Has there been a change with gift cards?  It used to be that a customer could make a partial payment with a gift card if the amount on the gift card was less than the total ticket.  Now we get an "Insufficient funds" message.  I restarted the Square register but we get the same message.

In the test below the gift card has $5 on it but the ticket is $10.75

insufficient fund.JPG

The workaround is to split the ticket for the amount on the gift card.  But this is a huge pain.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Ohhh someone else was having this issue too. Hang on let me find the thread.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

Here it is!

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Gift-Cards-Insufficient-funds-error/m-p/690636#M4...

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

@lenjobakes could you maybe help this other square user as well?

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

Thanks for the tag @alexandriak!

Hey @Mickey614! Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your register.

Hopefully you've taken a look at the thread that was posted above ^^^ that goes through a bit of troubleshooting with another seller who was experiencing the same issue as you!

I'm also on a register, but my screen shows up differently. I'm sure it feels a bit meh, but is your register up to date? Are you using a device code to sign in to your register, or are you signed in automatically?

Tag me (type @ and my username) when you respond so I can be sure not to miss it!

@isabelle 👀

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!
Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Mickey614 @lenjobakes I am sorry to hear you guys are having issues with using gift cards for partial payments. I took a deeper dive into this and from what I can see our engineers addressed the issued a fix for this back in May when a ticket was filed. I do not see any recent tickets right now to address the issue. I will ask if guys can reach out to support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport   so we can file a ticket. In order for our team to fix this they will need to hear from sellers directly. I am so sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate you guys working with us to resolve this! 🙏

Message 6 of 6