x

Gift Cards - Insufficient funds error

I used to use 3rd-party paper gift cards for our little store, but there was never an easy way to use Square to redeem them through the register (long story).  So, I finally decided to buy the Square gift cards in hopes of making the process of accepting gift cards easier.  Well, loading the gift cards is easy.  Accepting the gift card as a form of payment is NOT!  Here's the problem--let's say someone has a $50 gift card and is trying to make a $75 purchase.  The Square register will give an error saying insufficient funds because the purchase is for more than the gift card balance.  To make the transaction work, you have to cancel out of there, run the gift card to see how much is on it if unsure, and then do a split tender (a whole convoluted process).  Why doesn't the system just give you an immediate notice to add a second form of payment for the difference if the gift card isn't enough to cover the purchase?  Instead you have to go through multiple screens and have to know the gift card balance ahead of time in order to do split tender.  I called support and was told this is a known issue and that it would hopefully be fixed in an upcoming update.  I don't have high hopes.  I see this has been a problem for quite awhile now!  Square, I bought your plastic gift cards--now make it easier to accept them!

Message 1 of 34
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hey @JenCharapata!

I also have the register and I take gift cards all day long without issue.

20231017_184541.jpg

 This is the screen I get when processing a payment that is greater than the gift card amount. I don't check anything before hand, I just select gift card and swipe it.

I press charge and continue and I get this screen next:

20231017_184544.jpg

Then I hit done and I get the next screen:

20231017_184554.jpg

And I choose however the customer wants to pay the balance.

If I try to back out of the sale at this point, I get this screen:

20231017_184605.jpg

And choosing to cancel previously accepted payments does NOT remove money from the gift card and the transaction is not processed.

Which steps look different for you?

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

I'm not sure what a device code is and I know we sign in with our email address/password.

Message 22 of 34
Super Seller

I'll try this on my register, but in the past when I've run a gift card, it takes the full balance of the card, and then it just shows me what is due beyond the gift card. and then I can run another credit card to take up the difference.

Message 23 of 34
Super Seller

Hey @HC_Charlie!

Trying to figure this out too!

If you have success, I have a follow-up query: Do you use a device code on your register or do you sign in directly?

I can do this on my register with no issue (see above) but @JenCharapata signs in to their register and doesn't have the same prompt. Wondering if there's any correlation. 

Lenore
Message 24 of 34
Super Seller

@lenjobakesI don't have either a device code, but I must already be signed into the register. I'm the only one in the store using the register, so i always stay "logged in". I could opt to sign out, and then sign in again, but I don't think that would make any difference.

Message 25 of 34
Super Seller

Thanks for the clarification, @HC_Charlie. I was just interested to see if there was a difference between what I was doing and what this seller was doing. But if you're also logging in direct and can still do this, then I'm not sure what's going on?

It's strange that the same product would have a different outcome for different sellers.

Lenore
Message 26 of 34

The crazy thing is Square support is acknowledging my problem and saying it will be fixed in an upcoming update (hopefully).  I'm confused why it's only an issue with some people and not all.  I wonder if I got a rep who's clueless and just gave me a line of bull to get off the phone!

Message 27 of 34
Super Seller

Sorry if you've already answered this but you're talking about a giftcard someone purchased for use at only your store right? You're not talking about a general visa gift card?

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 28 of 34

yes. Not a general visa gc. Thanks. 

Message 29 of 34
Super Seller

Just wanted to double check. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Someone else just posted they're also having the problem and I linked them to this thread.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 30 of 34
Super Seller

Hey @JenCharapata!

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers as to why this isn't working for you! I thought there might be correlation between using a device code and signing in directly, but @HC_Charlie signs in directly and can still follow the same processes that I can.

Apparently there are other sellers who are running in to a similar issue according to @alexandriak, so hopefully more eyes will get on this issue and the discrepancies can be sorted out.

I just want to make sure that you've checked that you don't have any pending software updates for your register? It's completely up to date?

Also, as an aside, a device code allows your register to be signed in without using your personal log-in information. This is helpful if the machine is ever signed out of (for whatever reason) and someone other than yourself needs to sign in. You don't have to give them your personal sign in details, you can just give them the device code.

Lenore
Message 31 of 34
Super Seller

@JenCharapata, see this reply that @MayaP posted on a similar thread. When you contact support you can let them know that there is a fix and you would like to file a ticket to get it resolved:

Hello @Mickey614 @lenjobakes I am sorry to hear you guys are having issues with using gift cards for partial payments. I took a deeper dive into this and from what I can see our engineers addressed the issued a fix for this back in May when a ticket was filed. I do not see any recent tickets right now to address the issue. I will ask if guys can reach out to support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport   so we can file a ticket. In order for our team to fix this they will need to hear from sellers directly. I am so sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate you guys working with us to resolve this! 🙏

Lenore
Message 32 of 34

I am getting the same error as mentioned above (only when a tip is added its not letting me accept the gift card and pay the remaining balance with a new form of payment) If there is no tip added it gives me the option to appy the gift card and then have the guest pay the difference. 

Splitting the payment then only lets the guest tip on the remaining balance and not the full total. 

Message 33 of 34
Super Seller

Hey @Moodyales! Did you reach out to support citing the fix that @MayaP mentioned above? Were they able to resolve it for you?

I can post the response below for you here as well:

Hello @Mickey614 @lenjobakes I am sorry to hear you guys are having issues with using gift cards for partial payments. I took a deeper dive into this and from what I can see our engineers addressed the issued a fix for this back in May when a ticket was filed. I do not see any recent tickets right now to address the issue. I will ask if guys can reach out to support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport   so we can file a ticket. In order for our team to fix this they will need to hear from sellers directly. I am so sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate you guys working with us to resolve this! 

Let me know by tagging me in your response! (Type @ and my name!)

Lenore
Message 34 of 34