x

Gift Cards - Insufficient funds error

I used to use 3rd-party paper gift cards for our little store, but there was never an easy way to use Square to redeem them through the register (long story).  So, I finally decided to buy the Square gift cards in hopes of making the process of accepting gift cards easier.  Well, loading the gift cards is easy.  Accepting the gift card as a form of payment is NOT!  Here's the problem--let's say someone has a $50 gift card and is trying to make a $75 purchase.  The Square register will give an error saying insufficient funds because the purchase is for more than the gift card balance.  To make the transaction work, you have to cancel out of there, run the gift card to see how much is on it if unsure, and then do a split tender (a whole convoluted process).  Why doesn't the system just give you an immediate notice to add a second form of payment for the difference if the gift card isn't enough to cover the purchase?  Instead you have to go through multiple screens and have to know the gift card balance ahead of time in order to do split tender.  I called support and was told this is a known issue and that it would hopefully be fixed in an upcoming update.  I don't have high hopes.  I see this has been a problem for quite awhile now!  Square, I bought your plastic gift cards--now make it easier to accept them!

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hey @JenCharapata!

I also have the register and I take gift cards all day long without issue.

20231017_184541.jpg

 This is the screen I get when processing a payment that is greater than the gift card amount. I don't check anything before hand, I just select gift card and swipe it.

I press charge and continue and I get this screen next:

20231017_184544.jpg

Then I hit done and I get the next screen:

20231017_184554.jpg

And I choose however the customer wants to pay the balance.

If I try to back out of the sale at this point, I get this screen:

20231017_184605.jpg

And choosing to cancel previously accepted payments does NOT remove money from the gift card and the transaction is not processed.

Which steps look different for you?

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Square Champion

that shouldn't be.  accepting cards is streamlined in the checkout process.  Here I have a $5 sale and redeeming a $3 gift card. Click charge, click Gift Card, and swipe or manually enter info. Then a screen pops up saying this has $3 an additional payment of $2.41 is required to complete this transaction.  Click charge gift card and continue and then you finish the remaining balance in the second payment.   

No checking balance etc

IMG_8758.PNGIMG_8759.PNGIMG_8760.PNGIMG_8761.PNG

Message 2 of 35

I agree with you.  That's how it SHOULD happen, but it doesn't.  Once you run that gift card, there's an immediate insufficient funds error and you can't do anything but back out of the screen and try the split tender process.  This is what happens on the full-size register we purchased from Square.

Message 3 of 35
Square Champion

Maybe there is a problem with that card, but I just did that transaction pictured seconds before posting and it worked.  So when you check the balance it does say it has value on it?  

Check to make sure The Square app is up to date as they update it sometimes weekly.  I've had it where a 1 version out of date acted funny.

Message 4 of 35

I tried a couple of cards to test it out.  The balance shows up with no problem.  I can guarantee the card is loaded correctly.  It gives the error only when you try to purchase something for more than the card value.  I did talk to a Square team and they said it is a known issue and that they agree with me that split tender is not an efficient way.  I wonder if you and I are using 2 different systems.  I did check and my software is up to date.

Message 5 of 35
Square Champion

I am using Square POS on my phone and iPad.  There are lots of other Square products like Square for Retail, Square restaurants, Square appointments, etc

Message 6 of 35

I'm using the actual Square cash register for retail--not phone or IPad.  I bet that's the difference.  Thank you for trying by the way!

Message 7 of 35
Square Champion

Message 8 of 35
Square Champion

@VanKalkerFarms Unfortunately, that is a mistake on my SS listing.  I’ll have you know who fix that. Ha.  I’m going to tag other Register Super Sellers, though.

@Abigails_stl, @alexandriak, @Anthem, @ASPettus, @balmonte, @bearandbeak, @Belanger_Bagels, @BlackAngelDsgns, @cupzcoffeeaz, @dasap1234, @dimo10, @DLRosenberg, @Doran, @EcoAutoClean, @followell6912, @Greenmonkey65, @HairbylauralynL, @HC_Charlie

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 9 of 35
Square Champion

, , @JessPoynter, @JG_Brewing, @jjgard, @jjsmeatshak1, @JTPets, @JUYBoutique20, @keicollective, @lawnbrook, @lenjobakes, @LocavoreStore, , @Lovewell, @LukeNieuw, , @mdgolden01, @MichiganFarmsta

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 10 of 35
Square Champion

, @MudFire_Dex, @page158, @PartyManiaMD, @pawffeeshop, @phillipsrw, @pigsnoseinn, @QuokkaCoffee, @RashaadtheWise, @saydad, @Sheli, @shopfybr, @sugarlab, @Tamyra_Paunchy, @vinesandrushes, @wajiha

Chip

Website
Facebook

जो है सो है
Message 11 of 35
Square Champion

Thanks for the tag @TheRealChipA! I LOVE solving problems!

Lenore
Message 12 of 35
Square Champion

Thanks for the tag @VanKalkerFarms! @JenCharapata, I'm going to reply below as I have photos!

Lenore
Message 13 of 35
Square Champion

I’ve experienced the same issue and gone through the same process of checking card balance and doing a split transaction. That’s not how it always was but I don’t know when the issue started. 

Message 14 of 35
Square Champion

Take a look at my reply with photos, @vinesandrushes. Which steps look different for you?

Do you have a device code on your Register or are you signed straight in?

Lenore
Message 15 of 35
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hey @JenCharapata!

I also have the register and I take gift cards all day long without issue.

20231017_184541.jpg

 This is the screen I get when processing a payment that is greater than the gift card amount. I don't check anything before hand, I just select gift card and swipe it.

I press charge and continue and I get this screen next:

20231017_184544.jpg

Then I hit done and I get the next screen:

20231017_184554.jpg

And I choose however the customer wants to pay the balance.

If I try to back out of the sale at this point, I get this screen:

20231017_184605.jpg

And choosing to cancel previously accepted payments does NOT remove money from the gift card and the transaction is not processed.

Which steps look different for you?

Lenore
Message 16 of 35
Square Champion

Message 17 of 35
Square Champion

I’ll chime in and say thank you  Square for adding gift card balances in the desktop version  under client profiles hoping this is a feature added to the apps soon! 

Message 18 of 35

I get the insufficient balance screen you show except it doesn't give me the option to charge and continue!

Message 19 of 35
Square Champion

Okay, @JenCharapata! Let's troubleshoot a bit. Do you sign in to your register directly or do you use a device code?

Lenore
Message 20 of 35
Square Champion

@lenjobakes I was wondering if it was a setting in permissions maybe too? It has to be some weird setting within the system somewhere. We use square register with gift cards and never have had a problem either. 🤔

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 21 of 35