x

Sub Modifiers: Create a modifier for a modifier?

Sub Modifiers: Create a modifier for a modifier?

Im trying to find the best way to add a steak dinner it comes with 1 side and a salad. But I will need to add a modifier to some of the sides and salad. Example baked potato add bacon,cheese, butter. Salad no tomatoes add cheese.

[The title of this thread has been modified from it's original: A modifier for a modifier?\

22 Comments

This seems like pretty basic POS functionality. Especially with all the online orders we do now... it's practically necessary to have sub-mods. 

We are actually *losing* money because of the lack of this function. For example: we are a breakfast place, so eggs are a frequent add on. If a customer is placing an order online and they want a BLT, say, there's the option to add an egg (for an up-charge), and there is also a selection for how you would like your egg cooked (no up-charge). The customer often *only* selects how they would like the egg cooked and ends up not getting charged (the kitchen often doesn't catch the discrepancy). 

If the egg temp option popped up as a sub mod, this would not be an issue. 

Is there any update on this?

Beta Member

Best way to handle this one is to create a modifier WITH the temperature and give it the necessary upcharge.

For example, say you sell Pancakes as a main item. Your modifier to add eggs would like this:

• Add Scrambled Eggs $2.00
  • Add Eggs Over Easy $2.00
  • Add Eggs Over Hard $2.00

Etc. 

This does mean you might have an exhaustive list of modifiers, but this the best way to handle it in current state, which is why there needs to be an update that links items together so you can allow for their respective modifiers to appear for those items. Hope that makes sense.

Beta Member

Nothing that we've heard of yet. Such an opportunity though given how big Square is. 

Attn: Square Devs!!! lol

Can a modifier have a modifier

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Tacoguys,

We have moved your post to a board where other Sellers like you have discussed wanting a feature like this on Square. 

Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 🥳 We are so happy to have you here. While you are here, we recommend checking out our Orientation & Etiquette. Hope this helps! 😊

Adding on to the Ask!

Its 2023 and this seems like basic functionality - very surprised that the work arounds that have been discussed here since 2018 persist.  Any progress? Thanks!

Square Community Moderator

Hey there @gpshd,

While I wish I had better news to share with you, at this time, having the ability to create a sub-modifier is not yet available through Square for Restaurants.

I can certainly see the benefit of having greater customization within the Item Library and will continue to flag the feedback we receive for this feature request with our Product Team. I've also gone ahead and moved this thread to our Ideate board for Square Restaurants so we can continue to keep a close eye on this thread.

If we receive further updates in response to this feature request, we'll be sure to post in this thread. 

Hi there Fast casual owner that has worked with multiple POS systems for over 25 years. Everyone had a sub modifier option, We need sub modifiers in square. For one small example:

we have an option for an up charge you can sub a milkshake or bottled beverage for your combo drink. Since we are integrated with our online and 3 rd party deliveries we have to have a bev list option with every soda, shakes, and bottled beverage. A customer has to wade through 22 drink choices all listed out. Same with sub side salad. We have to list out every dressing with every salad. 

Has square not done anything about this in 3 years?