x
Beta Member

Partial Refund & Tip Adjustment

Hello All - 

There are times when we need to do a partial refund after we have run a customer's credit card.  

Although I know HOW to run the refund, the problem is, to issue the refund, the check is automatically settled, and then the refund is issued - and does not allow us to adjust for a tip.  

So we have had to refund the entire order/check and then re-ring it correctly, making the ability to refund a single item moot, so we can adjust the transaction to add a tip.

We can't be the only restaurant that has run into this.  

Is this a feature request?  Is there a work around that anyone is using?  

Thanks in advance for the help/info!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@Apt9F If you are talking about adjusting a transaction with an open check, I think issue might be in your checkout flow.  It sounds like you are having to do a refund after you ran the check and got the signature.  I think you need to make sure to "print bill" and present the bill prior to running the credit card and then process the sale.  You can always do a void or comp on the open ticket.  If you need to do a refund, I would at least settle the check with the tip then do the refund and you would be good.  But otherwise, I would change the checkout flow a little.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

As an FYI, we do drop the check, but you can’t always trust that someone looks at it prior to them dropping the card. 

Thanks for the thought.  

Message 3 of 3