x
Beta Member

(Resolved 12/18/23) COST OF GOODS REPORT STOPPED WORKING AFTER 12/14/23

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "COST OF GOODS REPORT STOPPED WORKING AFTER 12/14/23"

On square dashboard COGS reports have stopped working as of 12/14/23. 12/15 & 12/16 show profit at 100% and cost of goods a ZERO. Please report to engineers. @_Violet 

Message 1 of 32
3 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi all, I'm back with another update!

Our Engineers have successfully implemented the backfill to restore missing data from these reports. You will now see up-to-date information when generating COGS reports.

Please let me know if you are experiencing any further issues. Thanks for your patience while our team worked this one out 🙏

@MountainHouse @ThreeBarsFeed @squirrelandnut

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 32

Best Answer

Hello @Threelittlebird- I see this is your first post in the Seller Community, so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Oh no, I am sorry you are having issues with your COG report. To get a better idea of why this happening our team will need to take a look at your account. I recommend contacting our team, so we can take a deeper dive into this. You can reach support at

1-855-700-6000, squ.re/contactsqsupport. I hope this helps! 

View Best Answer >

Message 29 of 32
Beta Member

Best Answer

@Westbo,

Welcome to the Seller Community!

This thread was created back in December when there was a technical issue with the COGS reporting. The issue was resolved and the affected dates were corrected. I have not experienced the problem again, so I just want to make sure that you have a basic understanding of how Square COGS works.

Square's COGS is determined based on a First-In First-Out (FIFO) methodology and not what the current Unit Cost is set to on your Item/Variation. The Unit Cost must be set on all inventory receiving transactions (Manage Stock or Purchase Order Receiving) at the time the transaction is processed. The cost should be set based on the current purchasing price from your vendor. When the item is sold, it will use the unit cost specified on the receiving transactions in the order they were processed. For example, if you purchase 5 for $3.00 and then purchase an additional 10 at a later date for $3.25, your first 5 sales will use a COGS of $3.00 and the remaining 10 will use the $3.25 cost. "First-In First-Out". Note: this also applies to Manage Stock transactions that reduce the inventory for damage, theft, etc.

The Unit Cost on the Item/Variation should be considered a default value and will be set to the value from the most current receiving transaction, but it does not influence the COGS reporting.

CC: @RobynR @GFGuitar 

Patti
Owner
TwinkleToes Dance Store

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Beta Member

Best Answer

@Westbo,

Welcome to the Seller Community!

This thread was created back in December when there was a technical issue with the COGS reporting. The issue was resolved and the affected dates were corrected. I have not experienced the problem again, so I just want to make sure that you have a basic understanding of how Square COGS works.

Square's COGS is determined based on a First-In First-Out (FIFO) methodology and not what the current Unit Cost is set to on your Item/Variation. The Unit Cost must be set on all inventory receiving transactions (Manage Stock or Purchase Order Receiving) at the time the transaction is processed. The cost should be set based on the current purchasing price from your vendor. When the item is sold, it will use the unit cost specified on the receiving transactions in the order they were processed. For example, if you purchase 5 for $3.00 and then purchase an additional 10 at a later date for $3.25, your first 5 sales will use a COGS of $3.00 and the remaining 10 will use the $3.25 cost. "First-In First-Out". Note: this also applies to Manage Stock transactions that reduce the inventory for damage, theft, etc.

The Unit Cost on the Item/Variation should be considered a default value and will be set to the value from the most current receiving transaction, but it does not influence the COGS reporting.

CC: @RobynR @GFGuitar 

Patti
Owner
TwinkleToes Dance Store
Message 22 of 32

Did you get this resolved?

Message 23 of 32

I too am having this issue. My reports are also not listing vendors correctly (read, at all). I called support yesterday AM and they escalated it to engineering. I’m SOOO glad to know it isn’t just me. Unfortunately if this isn’t resolved I’ll be looking at other software, I can’t stomach paying $60 a month for software that makes my life harder. 

Message 24 of 32
Beta Member

Our Cost of Goods Report is not working - hasn't for several days.

Message 25 of 32

I, too, am experiencing issues with my COGS report. It is now reflecting my costs and is asking me to update them, even though they are in the inventory items. As I'm a flagship store, I am asked to report to corporate and, at this time, have been wasting time attempting to do this for EOM and YE.

Message 26 of 32

Hi @LitehouseFoods

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with this. Have you had an opportunity to reach out to direct support

This will be the fastest way to get your issue escalated. I will also be on the lookout for any additional information that may help sort this out.

Message 27 of 32

My COGS Report is showing negative costs.  It was working fine a few weeks ago when I was working on my taxes.  

Is anyone else having this issue?

Message 28 of 32

Best Answer

Hello @Threelittlebird- I see this is your first post in the Seller Community, so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Oh no, I am sorry you are having issues with your COG report. To get a better idea of why this happening our team will need to take a look at your account. I recommend contacting our team, so we can take a deeper dive into this. You can reach support at

1-855-700-6000, squ.re/contactsqsupport. I hope this helps! 

Message 29 of 32
Beta Member

Hi @Threelittlebird

Welcome to the Seller Community!!! I just checked my COGS reports for various date ranges and it still appears to be displaying correctly for me. It will show a negative cost for returns though. Have you checked the transactions against the item(s) in question to determine if there were any returns causing the results you are seeing? The following section of my COGS report is for an exchange, so it shows the negatives for the returned item (8.5M) and the positives for the replacement item (9M) which will net itself out for the COGS totals.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 113947.gif

Patti
Owner
TwinkleToes Dance Store
Message 30 of 32

Thank you for the help.  I checked it again and it is working perfectly.  I have no idea what was going on this morning.  

Message 31 of 32

Yay, glad it is working @Threelittlebird

Message 32 of 32