x

Can't Load Gift Card on Register?

When we try to load or check a gift card balance, the following pop-up is on the screen "Balance Check Failed. Invalid card. Please try a different card." We have tried many cards. All the same and will not allow us to use our gift cards. 

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @caravatis - It sounds like you're trying to check the gift card balance instead of first loading the balance on the gift card.

In your checkout area, under "ALL ITEMS", you should have an item for gift cards (if you don't see it, you should add an item first). Then you will be prompted to add the gift card number and check out with a balance the customer will pay.

After you've loaded the gift card, you can check the balance by clicking "Gift Cards" from you item area. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

This is on the register. 

Message 2 of 18
Alumni

Hi @caravatis - Sorry you're having this problem! 

Can you confirm you ordered your gift cards from eCard Systems? http://ecardsystems.com/square/

I'm assuming you're trying to load the plastic ones and not e-gift cards. 

Message 3 of 18

Yes, we did order from ecard systems. Thanks. 

Message 4 of 18

I am trying to use plastic gift cards to get around Square not taking down payments/deposits. I bought a beginners pack of the proper gift cards. Now I am trying to load a value into the card to represent the amount that a person has previously mailed me for a down payment. If the person has sent me $200 down payment and when he gets ready checks out I am hoping that with a gift card properly loaded with the $200 I will be able to ring up the price of the cabin and run the gift card thru reducing the total $1000 by $200 and be done.     The problem now is loading the gift card. (I went to dashboard and turned on the Gift Card feature)  On the Square Register I select "Gift Card" on the left side and all it says is "No Gift Cards" on the center of the screen.   I don't know if the proceedure is different for Square Registers or what the problem is  but I have looked at all the forum help and have found nothing that helps me.  I need help please! 

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

Hi @NACRES - I merged your thread over here to see my "best answer." It looks like you might be clicking into the area to check the gift card balance (of which there are none yet) instead of adding the gift card as an item to check out first.

Message 6 of 18

Thank you very much for your help! I am making progress now and am slowly figuring out things now that you set me on the right track! I still have a few things to figure out but they are more proceedural rather than Squareup difficulties.

Message 7 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @caravatis - It sounds like you're trying to check the gift card balance instead of first loading the balance on the gift card.

In your checkout area, under "ALL ITEMS", you should have an item for gift cards (if you don't see it, you should add an item first). Then you will be prompted to add the gift card number and check out with a balance the customer will pay.

After you've loaded the gift card, you can check the balance by clicking "Gift Cards" from you item area. 

Message 8 of 18

Thanks! We did 

1. Go into "Items" instead of Checkout

2. Hit "Gift Cards" on the left

3. On that screen select "Create Gift Card"

4. Type in name for this gift card. We put "Gift Card"

5. Do not enter value and let it be variable

6. NOW in Checkout hit "Gift Cards" in the left panel

7. Swipe or enter card

8. Enter requested value

9. Add item to check out

10. Take payment to activate!

Message 9 of 18

I have no "gift Cards" on the left when I select items

Message 10 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hey @suziesbeauty201,

Thanks for writing in 😊

Gift cards can be swiped on the Square Register. To see the gift card option on the register, tap > Checkout > All items and Services. Gift cards should be just below "Redeem Rewards" here. Please let us know how you go!

PS. Welcome to the Seller Community! 

Message 11 of 18

I have the Square Register.  I ordered basic plastic gift cards for my customers to purchase.  Are you saying there is no way to scan the gift cards?  Manually entering each gift card at the time of sale seems a bit Neanderthal in 2021 so I am thinking I misunderstood.

Message 12 of 18

We got the new Square Register and overall we are happy with it, but we are having trouble with processing gift cards. The Register recognizes them when we type in the 16-digit card number, but it does not read cards when they are swiped. Can anyone advise on how to process gift cards on the new Register hardware?

Message 13 of 18
Alumni

Hi @ikswoped - I moved your message over to this thread where a few sellers were able to troubleshoot their gift card checkout process. Let us know if you're still having trouble after looking this over!

Message 14 of 18

This is not what is happening for me. On the Square Register hardware, not the iPad/Square Stand, nothing happens when we swipe gift card magnetic strips. I am doing the proper procedure and have no problem/error when manually typing in the 16 digit number. Register is physically not reading any gift cards as though I was swiping a business card through it. No error, just not getting that it's being swiped at all.

Message 15 of 18
Alumni

Hi @ikswoped - Sorry you're still having issues. This thread is about gift cards on Square Register, but it sounds a call might be more useful to troubleshoot.

To give our team a call:

https://squareup.com/help/contact

Click "Other"

Click "I don't see my issue"

Click "Call Support"

Write down your Customer Code

Call 1 (855) 700-6000

Message 16 of 18

I'm trying to sell my new plastic gift cards that I ordered from square but when I go to checkout, there isn't an option to sell gift cards.

Message 17 of 18
Admin

Hey @Megw I've moved your post here so you can quickly see the steps to load and sell Gift Cards from Square Register. If you have any other questions reply here, happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 18