x

Can't use 2 square card readers

I recently brought another reader just in case the other one didn't charge properly.  You can't use the function "forget the reader."  It doesn't work.  You have to unpair your other reader from your bluetooth and then delete the entire app and start over.  That seems silly.

I spent an hour and half with one of your team members and I figured this out as we spoke.  Forget the reader doesn't work.  If you press "save" it does nothing.  It doesn't forget your paired reader.

The square team should have a FAQ on how to switch between readers and alert people that you can't use different card readers without deleting the app.  It would have save me a lot of time and anxiety at a show because the card reader wouldn't work.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

I'm not exactly sure what happened with your reader as I have switched card readers dozens of times when I get to a different location and need to use theirs cause mine is back at my store and never deleted the app.  Could be a problem with the Bluetooth settings of the phone itself or something else, but that isn't the way it is supposed to happen.  Not ideal that you had to delete the app, but at least Square is cloud-based so all the data and items are still there once you log back in.

Message 2 of 6

Spent an hour with customer support and they said you can't pick and choose between readers.  We tried everything and nothing worked. Unpairing. forgetting, etc.  I have an Android.

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

@nakedbotanical ;

I am not sure what has happened to you but as with Vankalkerfarms I use 2 wireless Bluetooth card readers for my Ipads at my store.  1 is setup connected by Bluettoth as a backup and the other is in its charging base connected to the Ipad hub.  I was having issues where the USB reader was not staying connected, and I use the Bluetooth one for a backup.  I did find out like you did, that if you forget the reader in Square you still need to go into the devices Bluetooth settings and unpair the device.  I did not have to uninstall then reinstall Square though.   Maybe you can try that and see if that works for disconnecting your Bluetooth card Readers before uninstalling and reinstalling Square on the device.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 6

@Candlestore I did disconnect them from the bluetooth.  It still was a problem.  I have an Android.  Could this be the issue?

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

@nakedbotanical ;

Not sure if it is Android related, I know there are issues with both Android and Apple products at times that get solved.  Apple issue was that in Ipad version 15 somethings did not work right at first.  I will not upgrade from 14.8 to 15.? till I know everything is ok with it, or I have an issue with Square.  I also know some people were complaining that the Samsung s21's were having problems...I have an s20 which works fine.  Brand new versions of items and Brand new operating systems can effect items that connect differently all to make them more secure from hackers, but in turn keeps non hackers from having easy use of items they were using.

Now I use one reader that is USB connected and One that is Bluetooth, I also know that when I try to connect 2 bluetooth speakers to use for sound I cannot do that, and have to unpair one speaker 1st.  Maybe that is the issue that you can not connect 2 Bluetooth card readers to one device at the same time.  Which would be the case if it is still paired with the Operating system even though you unpaired it from Square.  I am just guessing here.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 6