x

Chip card reader battery issues

I manage the Square account for a local business.  We are using the Chip card readers (the $29.00 small ones) to accept cards.  The readers are new (less than a month old); prior to this we had been using the card swipers (free ones) but invested in the chip readers feeling it was more secure.  They are also easier to use with the "stop" on the chip side - swiping the cards can be tricky!

Anyway, after using them successfully for a couple of weeks, they no longer seem to hold a charge for more than one transaction.  We have 2, (and we also tried three brand new ones recently purchased for another organization, but they have not worked either) and they are all doing the same thing.  Appear to be fully charged (green light), connect successfully (says "Reader Ready") and run a transaction, maybe two, then it will not work. It still says "Reader Ready" but absolutely nothing happens when the card is inserted or swiped.   Plug it in, light is orange (indicating charging), within 5 minutes or so it goes green and will work for another transaction or two.  This is happening with all of the readers!!  

We do have a few of the old free swipers, and they work when the chip reader does not.  We are using a cellular signal, no wifi is available.  The cellular network does not seem to matter - our devices are using Verizon, AT&T, and Metro PCS networks.  We have the latest update to the Square Point of Sale app on all devices.

We expect a reader to last the 5 hours the business is open each day; but having to charge between transactions seems excessive.  Help?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @SMSBCF, thanks for taking the time to flag this. I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening — the reader battery should last long enough to make it through a day of business. 🤔

This issue has come up with some other sellers. For next steps on getting this resolved, I would suggest having a look at George's answer in this thread.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction — please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4

We have been having same issue — paid for 2 chip readers neither are holding charge using via cellular network as no wifi available

we refuse to purchase another & now looking around for other options (& companies) Any one else having holing charge issues?

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

This is what I have found with the Chip readers. Once plugged in the constantly send a signal to stay connected to the secure server.  If you unplug them when you are not using them they will last for days, but if you leave them plugged in they will die fast.  We added velcro to the back and attach it to the iPad when not in use.   I have 8 of these we purchased for our fireworks stand.   For my Carwash, we use the Contactless reader.  This is much better.  The battery will last a long time, we have this one plugged in most all the time so I don't have to worry about the battery.  I will invest in these for our firework stand this year.

Message 4 of 4