x

Chip reader will not connect / pair to my tablet

I have been using my Square for at least a couple years with no problems. Last night after running a few transactions the chip reader lost connection and I cannot get it to reconnect.  It is charged.  I held the button down for a few seconds and it switched to 4 flashing orange lights to indicate pairing but it would not connect.  When I got home I tried my other Square unit and the same thing happened. I bought both Squares at the same time 2-3yrs ago.  Bluetooth was enabled. Internet connection was good. I uninstalled/reinstalled the Square app on both my tablet and my Android phone but they still won't connect/ pair.  Any suggestions?  Do the chip readers have some sort of useful lifespan?  

Message 1 of 11
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

@Johnnyhotdogger I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your readers, that's really odd! It sounds like you've done a good bit of troubleshooting already but I also recommend making sure that your devices (tablet/phone) are up to date and you could try resetting the reader.

If that doesn't do the trick don't hesitate to call in and our team can you get back up and running! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi! It does sound like you need to charge your reader. 

The following colors indicate different battery states:

* Green: Fully charged

* Amber (Yellow): Charging

* Red: Low battery or no charge

When your reader is in pairing mode, you’ll see orange blinking lights. Once you see these lights, immediately release your finger.

If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the power button for too long and your reader will reset. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Best Answer

@Johnnyhotdogger I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your readers, that's really odd! It sounds like you've done a good bit of troubleshooting already but I also recommend making sure that your devices (tablet/phone) are up to date and you could try resetting the reader.

If that doesn't do the trick don't hesitate to call in and our team can you get back up and running! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 11

Chip reader will not pair with iPhone 5 or 6.  Running latest IOS.  Orange banner on Square checkout page tells me to turn on Wi-Fi.  But iPhone settings show Wi-Fi is already on.

Message 3 of 11

Hi there, @daperz - thanks for reaching out here on the Community and letting us know about your issue. So sorry for the trouble with your reader!

I've moved your post into a similar thread of Sellers who were also experiencing this issue. You cay want to view Helen's post for best steps and troubleshooting. 

Let me know if that doesn't work. 

Joe
Message 4 of 11
Beta Member

This is a fundamental  issue that's not being adequately addressed.

It's been hit-and-miss getting these two useless gadgets to pair.

Also despite being listed on compatible tablets list I'm getting 'unsupported device' warning where once it connected quite happily.

cheers, Mark.

Message 5 of 11

I'm having the same issue pairing to my iPhone 11 with the latest software. Following advice I found here elsewhere, I shut down the reader (hold button for 20 seconds), waited 10-15 seconds, then turned it back on. There was a single red light for about 2 seconds, then it went off. I plugged it in and saw the four orange lights briefly (it had been fully charged). Now when I push the button, the red light again comes on then off.

Does this indicate that the reader is dead? If so, can I get a new one?

GS

Gerry Starnes
Message 6 of 11

Best Answer

Hi! It does sound like you need to charge your reader. 

The following colors indicate different battery states:

* Green: Fully charged

* Amber (Yellow): Charging

* Red: Low battery or no charge

When your reader is in pairing mode, you’ll see orange blinking lights. Once you see these lights, immediately release your finger.

If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the power button for too long and your reader will reset. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

AshleyK
Message 7 of 11

Welp, the reader "should" have been charged after plugging in overnight. It had 4 green lights before they went off. Nonetheless, I charged it overnight again, and it paired this morning.

Thank you

Gerry Starnes
Message 8 of 11

It happens! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 9 of 11

So would I only need one Gadget or do I need a do I need a printer do I need to label or maker or do I just need the car reader and the tablet

Message 10 of 11

Okay knol thanks 

Message 11 of 11