x

Contactless Chip reader won't pair. Why?

My contactless chip reader won't pair with my phone. I've done all the troubleshooting steps. I get blinking dots for a while and then eventually 4 blinking red dots.

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Admin

Hey @Toto2.

Thanks for trying all the troubleshooting steps available. 

For how to contact us, our number is (855) 700-6000. You'll also need your customer code. The steps to look up your code are here.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 22 of 40

I am having trouble with my readers- I have uninstalled the app and re-installed it twice and forgotten the devices in the bluetooth settings and I still can't get either reader to connect- HELP!

Message 23 of 40
Alumni

Hi @Gsgbunny,

Sorry you're dealing with this. Happy to help provide a bit more insight. What readers do you have, and what devices are you trying to pair them with?

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 24 of 40

I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 Eclipse and am using the contactless chip readers. I have never been able to get the magstrip readers to work either.

Message 25 of 40
Admin

Hey @Gsgbunny-

So sorry to hear about that. We've confirmed that your device is compatible with our Contactless Chip Reader:

We would suggest trying all of the step listed in this Support Center article. If those don't work, please give us a call. We want to make sure your purchased hardware is working with your compatible devices. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 26 of 40

Thanks for that link-- I thought I had done everything- I didn't know about resetting the readers- thanks! it Worked!!!

Message 27 of 40
Admin

That usually does the trick @Gsgbunny🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 28 of 40

I am having the same issue. I have been using my contactless card reader with the same devices almost a year. Today I’m doing an event and it won’t work. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting…forgetting the device, hard reset etc and it still won’t connect to my iPhone or iPad. Please advise

Message 29 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Thehornywench

Have you tried updating the app or device software to help with the connection issues? 

Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick and I am happy to circle back. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 30 of 40

I have done all the updates. I even called square and I’m told I will have to purchase a new one because it is over the year warranty. It’s upsetting that I have only used it a handful of times and need to purchase another one. 

Message 31 of 40

@Thehornywench

Sorry to hear those updates didn't work and your reader needs to be replaced.

What type of device are you using with your reader ?

Kassi
Message 32 of 40

iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad Pro 

Message 33 of 40

@Thehornywench -

Are you using iOS 15? If so, try deleting the app and installing again before trying to pair the reader. 

Kassi
Message 34 of 40

I didn’t upgrade to iOS 15 until last night. I had an event last weekend and couldn’t pair the reader. I tried at that time to delete the app and reinstall and it wouldn’t pair to either device

Message 35 of 40

@Thehornywench 

Thank you for confirming that for me. It sounds like all of the troubleshooting we have are still not helping the connection issue.

At this point, it would be best to replace the reader. 

Sorry I didn't have a trick to fix this for you. 

Kassi
Message 36 of 40

I've been using it for years and know you want me to quit the app and start over   did all that and it still doesn't work. I am not happy!!!!!!

Message 37 of 40

Hey there @404250,

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with the Contactless Chip Reader. That is extremely frustrating. 

If you have already done a hard reset on the reader, and have tried all the troubleshooting steps, then go ahead and contact Direct Support. You can reach them at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. They can look further into this and file a ticket if needed. 

To force shutdown your reader:

1. Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.

2. Use a small object like a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds or after the 4 lights stop blinking red. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

3. After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.

4. Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.If the reader lights turn green, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

Message 38 of 40

Did all that and still won't pair

Message 39 of 40

Thanks for trying all those steps. Let's contact Direct Support so they can file a ticket, #1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport.

We appreciate you working with us to get this resolved @404250

Message 40 of 40