x

Dashboard session timeout

Within the last week or so, Dashboard started logging me out after a period of inactivity.  This is annoying as I'm used to being logged in all day and coming back to it as needed, and now I have to log back in MANY times a day.  Is there a way to turn this off or adjust in settings or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 166
4 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer
Mackenzie here from the Product Insights team – I definitely hear the frustration in the thread, and agree that this change could have been handled better. Although from one perspective we've fixed the bug that kept everybody logged in indefinitely, I completely understand how the bug resulted in new workflows that you relied on – workflows that were disrupted when we implemented a fix without warning you ahead of time.

Your account security is our top concern, and we're always evaluating how to balance safety with experience. I hear your desire for customization, and I've let our product management team know so they can track the request. For now, we'll probably be leaving the timeout as-is, so I recommend using one of the password tools mentioned elsewhere on the thread to help make the experience a little more convenient.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback.

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 166

Best Answer

If you are using Firefox the 'Auto Reload Tab' extension by Alan Ramsey may help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/auto-reload-tab/

The extension allows you to set a time interval, after which, the page will be reloaded,

keeping the session kept alive. It has pre-set intervals that can be selected or you can

add you own interval time. It also provides the option to reset the timer whenever

you react with the page (type/click) so it will not reload while your working.

I haven't lookd but there may be similar extension/add-ons for other browsers.

Seems to me that this it the feature that Square should provide intrinsically.

View Best Answer >

Message 96 of 166
Super Seller

Message 97 of 166
Beta Member

Best Answer

While a fix from Square would be ideal I use 'Super Auto Refresh Plus' extension for Chrome.

It's free, works on several pages and you can set the refresh times.

Typical for me is the main Square PC dashboard page on auto refresh for every 15 minutes.  This way if I need to enter a customer, create an invoice, etc. I'm logged in all day.  I just have to remember to go back to the home page when I'm done or it will time out.  It remembers the page you set it on so even after shutting down it will be on automatically next time you open that page.

View Best Answer >

Message 123 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

Hello

I was on being when my sessions started timing out within 2 minutes or so. That seems better now I would like to know how I can send updates about our new "reality" in the salon business during covid-19 by text. It seems like it is only set up for reward messages...

Message 64 of 166
Square Community Moderator

@notechjoy

Good to hear! We do have Square Marketing available. It does require a subscription, but we have waived subscription fees for April. 

You can find out more information about it, here

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 65 of 166

Hello

That was not really my question. Can I send a covid-19 update out on text?

Message 66 of 166

@notechjoy -

Ah I see! Yes, there is an option to send a COVID-19 update through Square Marketing. It will allow you to customize the message and add all of the information you would like to share with your Customers. 

Go under your Marketing tab on your Dashboard to get started. 

Kassi
Message 67 of 166

YesI figured out how to send the message by email but I cannot figure out how to send it by text. Can you lay it out for me step by step?

I would like to send my covet 19 update for my business on a text as opposed to an email I am looking for a step-by-step way to do that

Message 68 of 166

@notechjoy -

To do a text message update, you have the ability to add it to your receipts. 

1. Click Marketing tab 

2. Create Campaign - select Receipt from the drop-down menu. 

3. Fill out the campaign information you would like to appear on your receipts. 

This would be the only way to send the text update you're looking for. I would recommend sending the email update, so you can fit more information about the current status of your business. 

Kassi
Message 69 of 166

I think I would reach more people by text. My shop is closed so no receipts.

Are you all working on that feature?

Message 70 of 166

Hi @notechjoy this is a super popular feature request that we are working on. Feel free to follow this thread for any updates!

AshleyK
Message 71 of 166

Well I guess its back to QuickBooks. 

Message 72 of 166
Beta Member

@MackenzieK It's been two years and it appears this has not been addressed. Our specific situation is that I use Square via a browser on my PC, currently for inventory and invoicing. I need the site to stop logging me out when I'm using a PC. This is in my office where security is not an issue at all, and I firmly believe security is ultimately MY responsibility, not yours. We need the ability to stop auto-logout. Is there a definitive time for this to be released, or is it another "good idea, we'll think about it"?
Message 73 of 166

Exactly!!!

Message 74 of 166

Please make the per session time-out longer.  I have to login over and over multiple times a day.  

Message 75 of 166

We've noted your support for a longer session time-out option. Thanks for adding your voice here, @purejoy

Joe
Message 76 of 166

So here's a reply from Square that's over two years old, stating that they hear users' concerns and they are having their "team" look into it. Well it's now 11/12/20 and Square still times out after a brief period; so much for addressing your users' concerns.

Seems to me that if individual users wish to have their terminals logged on all day, they then assume the risk, however remote that may be, and not square. So in the spirit of Free Enterprise, why don't you give this control back to users?

Oh yeah...apparently this is not an issue on the mobile side, because there you can be permanently logged in. So why then is this "security measure" only applicable to the desktop side?

Explanation????

Message 77 of 166

It's really annoying and the answer given above is pretty poor. I don't think that would be so hard to add in "Settings" an option to control how long would you like to keep yourself connected. 

I agree with that last answer about "Square Security"....

I stay connected to Shopventory the whole day and helps me a lot to my workflow.

Message 78 of 166
Beta Member

Three years later and Square still has not fixed this problem. I feel strongly that Square does not understand how businesses are run. I'm a grown-xxxed adult, I know how to secure my own systems. We need to stay logged into Square all day, and not have to take the time to log back in when I have customers waiting. Square, hire some people with some real world experience and get this done!

Message 79 of 166

I *never* have to login on my ios device.

I *always* have to login on my desktop.  

These two seem inconsistent.

In addition the time to login is horrendous.  e.g. even with Square Desktop set to remember login and password it takes 15 to 30 seconds before I can take a payment.  If I'm on the phone with a customer, this is a forever.  

I want to be able to sign in, and just be signed in all day.  You need to figure out how to do that securely.

Message 80 of 166
Beta Member

Three years and still no fix. EVERY day I need this. My PC is behind the POS so I can 1) add something that's missing from the items database 2) check if something is in stock 3) confirm is something is in the items database for the cashier. EVERY DAY. This is not a nice to have, Square, this is a requirement. I'm still convinced Square is for retirees who have a hobby business out of their garage where they sell a dozen different items, not full-blown businesses.

Message 81 of 166
Beta Member

I though the browser refresh extension was the answer, but it is not. Example: I'm currently updating a selection of our database that I have to bring up based on a search term. So I have a list of about 30 items on the screen. Every time the browser refreshes, Square ignores the query and resets the page to the entire items database list.

Again, there are many examples of why we need to control how often we are logged out. Security is ultimately our responsibility. Let us make that decision, Square.

Message 82 of 166

this is really annoying especially for square retail screens, because you can’t use a refresh or a password program to help with this issue. for retail stores the auto timeout should be scheduled for the same time their end of day close out is set for. any other logout or sign out options should be a touch button on the screen and used at owners’ discretion or via company policy.

Message 83 of 166

Why has Square started timing out so quickly?  I use it regularly during the day, so it's very inconvenient for it to keep timing out on me.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a setting that I'm not seeing that I can adjust?  Thanks!

Message 84 of 166