x

How do I prevent a terminal from being manually reset and logged into a different account?

We were chatting with another festival in our area who warned us against using Square. We have been using it for a couple of years and haven't run into this problem yet - but they have. Essentially, they had an issue with one of their volunteers who was running the cash register logging out of the festival account on square and logging in with their own account. (To fraudulently redirect the money that should have gone to the festival). We use team management and Square Terminals, and I know there is a setting to not allow someone to go into the settings and log out of the terminals. But I noticed you can still press the power button on the terminal for about a minute, factory reset the terminal, and then log in with a new account. How can I disable this? My fear is that if another festival in the same city had this issue that it could happen to us too. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@nick10 Can I be honest with you? If you are worried about this problem then that would mean you have team members you don’t trust. And if you have team members you don’t trust, well maybe you should relook at them being in your team.. 

If someone is so knowledgeable about square that they know how to factory reset your terminal and think to log into their own business account, kudos to them. I am not that sneaky. 

now I guess you could turn in notifications for transaction, so that you are being notified about all transactions and when you stop being notified you know something is up. Or you just manually check in on the transactions or take the terminal and check to make sure it’s logged into your account. 

it’s not possible to turn off the factory reset option. That is there for the purpose to help in the case that something happens to your terminal and you need to reset it. 
I’m sorry you’re feeling a little anxious about this issue another festival had. I don’t really have a definite answer for you. I’m sure other terminals have factory resets too so this isn’t solely something you are facing with square products. 

I hope you are able to come up with a solution that works for you and your team! 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 2 of 2