x

How to use square and play music at same time.

We have used square for the past four years with music playing. Recently the music stops whenever we use the square for a purchase. How do I use them both at the same time? Not sure what happened.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

This happens to us when we get an online order. Have you resolved your issue? I tried to update the app and the ipad but nothing works. 

Message 2 of 18
Admin

Hey @Zaks and @newenglandcider!

What application are you using to play the music on your device?

Let me know! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 18

It happens with any application we use, spotify, XM, amazon or pandora. 

Message 4 of 18
Admin

Are you using an Android device @newenglandcider?

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 5 of 18

No, I am using ios. 

Message 6 of 18
Admin

Okay, according to this Apple resource page, it looks like some general troubleshooting can keep this from occurring again. Please take a look at it and let me know if that works. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 7 of 18

Ok, Im going to try this now and see if any of it works. 

Message 8 of 18

I tried what they recommended and nothing works. 

Message 9 of 18
Admin

Okay, would you be able to put your notifications on do not disturb? Or do you need to be able to have them come through to be notified about orders or transactions? 

Do not disturb mode is what it looks like Apple suggests for this. The Square Point of Sale app doesn't actually have a setting for that, unfortunately. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 10 of 18

Hello, I am having the same issue.

Here's what happens:  Music is playing on the iPad via Spotify to my Bluetooth stereo.  

If I get an online order alert while the app is open, the music keeps playing but loses the Bluetooth connection and the music switches over to the iPad speaker.  If I close the Square app, the music starts playing on the stereo again.

So somehow the alerts are interrupting the Bluetooth connection rather than stopping the music itself.  

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Message 11 of 18

We ended up getting a new music player. Its a yamaha amp that runs a music cast app. No issues since we did that. It runs the music over wifi and not bluetooth like our old speakers. We never could get the bluetooth ones to stay connected when online orders came through. I know it doesn't help with the problem you are having and no one could help us either, pretty frustrating. You might need to look into a separate music play like sonos or this yamaha one we have. 

Message 12 of 18

Just don't use any online services to play your music. For sure you can't download the songs as easily as it was back in the 00s, as the streaming services beat the torrents at least in the area of music. You can download songs if you have a youtube music subscription, or you can buy songs and albums individually on Bandcamp. For free, here's the only place, for example where I managed to find obscure sacred tools terraria https://terraria-sacred-tools-mod.mp3juices.red/

Message 13 of 18

Been getting this same issue. Using bluetooth to connect to amplifier for music, but when I plug in the Square reader, it shuts the music off. How do you get around this?

Message 14 of 18

Made some progress, but still having a challenge. It seems that the phone thinks the Square reader is a set headphones. After connecting the reader, go to Spotify and change the audio output to Airplay/Bluetooth and start the music again. 

unfortunately, the Square reader times out and you need to do the whole process again to get it to read cards… ugh.

I’ll be getting a second device soon to resolve this problem once and for all.

Message 15 of 18
Beta Member

we have the same irritating issue.  we use square app on iPad and play music through Spotify and an Alexa speaker.  Ours gets interrupted when a credit card that requires signature is used.  it begins to play the music through the iPad,  it is actually embarrassing as the customer is standing there and doesn't know what is happening.  I would love a solution too!

Message 16 of 18

This is incredibly irritating. Just bought three blue tooth speakers for my clinic. Clients are complaining.  Would be great to get an update to the square for this. Appreciate any help. 

Message 17 of 18

To use Square for processing payments and play music at the same time, you would need to have two separate devices or setups. Square is a payment processing service that typically runs on a smartphone or tablet, while playing music would require a separate music player or device. You could use one device for Square and another for playing music simultaneously.

Message 18 of 18