x
Beta Member

I found a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter that works with new Samsung & Mag Stripe reader

After trying about 25 different adapters which all failed I finally tried the

Google USB To type C to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter Pixel, XL, Pixel 2, XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Other USB Type-C Phones

Sold on Amazon (was $7.95 when I bought it and it is now listed for $7.15).  Walmart also sells it online but not in the store.  I have tested this with both Samsung Note 10 and Note 10+.  It worked on both after allowing "microphone access".  I hope this helps others trying to use the Mag Stripe readers with the new phones that don't have the 3.5mm jack anymore.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @BearsLock -

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to spread this knowledge with other sellers. This is the kind of interaction I love to see on here. 

Have a great day! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

Do I need a new square reader when switching from iphone 5 to iphone SE

Message 3 of 12

Hey there, @Patf

From what I know - the iPhone SE has a different charging port than the other iPhones. We don't have a reader specifically for that one, just yet. There is a Feature Request already in place, but I will be able to add you to is. 

In the meantime, I have moved this post to a thread with some helpful info. Another seller tested a bunch of adapters and found one that worked. Check out the Best Answer from @BearsLock

Kassi
Message 4 of 12

new phone (Samsung S20) does not have AUX plug.  Is there an adapter that will work to allow use of magnetic reader? 

Message 5 of 12

Hey there, @Nicolecooks2

Thank you for posting in the Community! 

Yes, there is an adapter that another seller has tested that works great! I have moved your post over to the thread with the information about the adapter. 

Check out the post by @BearsLock

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 6 of 12

I have a new samsung S20+ phone and it doesn't have a standard headphone jack. Instead you plug headphone (that came with it) into the new oval charger port. I can connect the chip reader with no problem but we occasionally have to use the little mag stripe reader. Is there a way to connect the stripe reader? An adapter or something? Or a new stripe reader with the new connector? 

We just joined this group. We are a small floral/vintage shop in Omaha Nebraska. 

Message 7 of 12

Hey there, @OuLaLaDesigns

There is an adapter that some other sellers have had success with since we don't have a USB-C reader yet. 

Check out the info from this thread.

Kassi
Message 8 of 12

I dont have an earphone port, how can i use my reader. Samsung S21 FE

Message 9 of 12
Super Seller

You can purchase a dongle adapter that converts your USB to a headphone jack for this ability. The other option is to change to the chip reader so you don't have to have anything attached to your phone. 

Jess
Hair Designer | Certified Trichologist

Visit My Website - JP Style & Solutions
Check out the magic on Instagram - @JESS.POYNTER
Make an impact on Facebook - @JPSTYLESOLUTIONS
Message 10 of 12

Hi @Tdj - Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

I see that @JessPoynter I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed using an adapter to connect their magstripe reader. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 11 of 12

so there's still no usb-c magstripe readers after 6 years of square working on this?? they're litterally just ignoring this need and pushing their bluetooth option. I need a usb-c adapter or reader, not a bluetooth or a phone jack adapter - any help?

Message 12 of 12