x

Is there an adapter to add more USB ports?

I have one too many devices fo rmy USB connector, is there an adapter to add more USB ports? 

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@UMelt have you found a workaround that suits your business? If you have time it would be great if you could share it with us here! 

Also, ideally, you could free up a USB port by connecting the Contactless and Chip card reader via bluetooth. If you're having issues with the reader, these troubleshooting steps should help! 

@anniec This Support Center article has the steps to connect an ethernet printer to the Square Stand! Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, 

Unfortunately there aren't any adapters that would allow for you to daisy chain USB ports for use with your hardware accessories. 

What was it that you were trying to connect? There are a few bluetooth versions of some of the hardware accessories that might be worth considering. 

Message 2 of 11

I have this issue as well right now.

Trying to connect all USB:

Receipt Printer

Drawer

Kitchen Printer

Chip reader

I'm aware of workarounds for this such as:

-Printer driven cash drawer but we are splitting 1 receipt printer for 2 Square Stands

-Bluetooth Chip reader: We've had nothing but problems without hardwiring it.

-Network (LAN) printers: also nothing but problems.  

We're trying to move to all "hardwired" usb connected devices to avoid the littany of network connectivity issues we've had over the years.

If I split one of the inputs on the USB hub will there be issues?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Message 3 of 11

Jonathan,

I am wondering the same thing?  Our previous set-up via bluetooth to printers is slow and not reliable (kitchen tickets not always printing).  We have ethernet running to all the stations and the kitchen printer.  But i'm wondering how to connect the square stands to the network.  

Have you resolved your network issues?  If so, any suggestions?

Thanks

Ann

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

@UMelt have you found a workaround that suits your business? If you have time it would be great if you could share it with us here! 

Also, ideally, you could free up a USB port by connecting the Contactless and Chip card reader via bluetooth. If you're having issues with the reader, these troubleshooting steps should help! 

@anniec This Support Center article has the steps to connect an ethernet printer to the Square Stand! Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the follow up. Like I said earlier we have always had connectivity issues with the Bluetooth card readers and your link to generic troubleshooting tips is wildly unhelpful.

Wireless is not a perfect system and Ethernet still relies some wireless tech (the iPad is still on wifi even on the square stand).

the solution is to be able to expand the USB port on the square stand AND be able to connect multiple square stands to a single printer via USB. USB is the key here.....thusly not relying on any wifi for printers etc. 

Thai would be a great fix and I hope it's noted by the decision makers thanks.

Message 6 of 11

@anniec the best solution for us is hard wired USB. If that is not an option hardwired Ethernet cords to the printers from the router that the iPad is connected to. 

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but anything that is not a USB will inevitably have printing issues as there is some wireless tech involved. (Trust me as I have 8 stores with over a dozen iPads and printers running along all sorts of variations). USB is the best through a square stabd of it is a viable option. 

Message 7 of 11
Admin

Thanks for your posts @UMelt!

I am sorry that there isn't a way to connect everything to the Stand (or multiple Stands) by USB and that I can't offer a better solution at this time. I will certainly share your feedback with the hardware team. If there are any updates in future we'll let you know in this thread. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 11

Any updates since 2017? My square stand only has 3 usb ports, and I have four pieces of hardware to plug in (printer, drawer, and scanner). I bought something that added more ports, but it did not work. Please let me know if you have any advice!

Message 9 of 11
Alumni

No updates I'm afraid. Right now, the 3 ports is your only option for the Square Stand. However, the Square Register has 5 available ports. @Fiddleheads

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11

Thank you!

Message 11 of 11