x

Negative Balance, Close Account

I don't know where else to put this. 

I am trying to close my account because it's associated with a nonprofit organization that has closed. There is no longer a connected bank account because the account was closed. 

Someone accidentally paid money to the Square account following an old link, so I refunded their money, but now there's a negative balance showing on the account and it won't let me deactivate the account. 

I emailed Customer Service and got instructions to basically open Square Checking (we don't have this) and then link a debit card to the Square Debit Card, and THEN I can add money so it's not a negative balance. 

We're talking about $1.51, here. Is there not an easier way to get this paid and the account closed? This seems like a huge amount of overkill to transfer $1.51 and close an account. 

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello, @LFTS

We understand your frustration, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Handling a negative balance of $1.51 shouldn't involve such complexity.

We recommend giving us a call when time allows it. Our designated team will be able to look into this closer with you. Feel free to contact us at 855-700-6000 between 6am-6pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. 

We appreciate your time and cooperation while we get this resolved with you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello, @LFTS

We understand your frustration, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Handling a negative balance of $1.51 shouldn't involve such complexity.

We recommend giving us a call when time allows it. Our designated team will be able to look into this closer with you. Feel free to contact us at 855-700-6000 between 6am-6pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. 

We appreciate your time and cooperation while we get this resolved with you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 3

Actually, support email advised me to simply charge an amount that would result in the amount needed to erase the negative balance. That made total sense to me, and took a couple of minutes as opposed to having to call during business hours and possibly wait on hold for an answer that would essentially result in the same thing. 

So, no, the answer above was NOT the best answer. And further, I'm now waiting on support to close my account because I can't get it to deactivate through normal means. 

Message 3 of 3