x

Star Micronics Wifi Printer

Yo!

Trying to cut the cords here.  We have so many damned cords running through our stores!

Star Micronics recently released both a Wifi version of its TSP100 series printer and also a "Wifi Power Pack" for existing LAN verisons of its printers.  

Can I connect my Square App to these printers through Wifi?  I see an option to connect via bluetooth, but I don't see wifi.

Thanks!

Jon

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

What device are you using? Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Message 2 of 11
Square

You can print through WiFi, @UMelt

Your TSP100 will still need to be connected to your router via ethernet, and then it can be connected to the iPad wirelessly over the Wifi. 

Check out this Support Center article on connecting your ethernet printer, and this article for supported printer models. 

Message 3 of 11

I just bought a few of the TP-Link TL-WR702N's on Amazon, which is what Star Micronics is selling to 'convert' the LAN printers to wireless.  They are USB powered, and the kit that SM is selling includes a cash drawer kick port to USB adapter for all-in-one power, which would definitely be nice, but I am just plugging these into an available USB port nearby.

You then just 'join' your wireless network on the device, and it creates a 'wireless' ethernet port there for you to plug your printer into.

As long as everything is on the same wireless network, you'll have no problems.

Message 4 of 11

Thanks!  I'm using that too in one of my stores and I love it.  The only negative comment I have on it is that when ANYTHING goes down on the internet which happens once in a while I need to re setup the mini port which is a process and requires someone tech savvy (really only me).  

The wires versions of these printers automatically kick back on without needing any resetting.

How is it working for you?

Message 5 of 11

Hi there- I've been trying to set this up with a repeater directly connected to my Star TSP100III to make the printer usable for all POS ipads. I can't get the ipads to "see" the printer when I connect it to the repeater's network. Any tips? 

Message 6 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @TheNorwood 👋 Thanks for reaching out. 

I'm not familiar with what a "repeater network" is. Can you please clarify? Are you able to connect the device to a regular network connection and print successfully? 

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

@BernadetteA ;

A repeater in a Netwok gets the Wifi signal or Wired Network connection and Repeats the same signals to locations that are too far from the main Router.

For Example :

Wired networks can only send a signal 300 feet, so to get a signal 800 feet from the main router, you would need 2 Network Switches to get from point A-B.  A network Switch is just Repeating and sending the data too and from two points on the network.

A Wifi repeater would take a Wifi Signal and receive it from the main router and then send the WiFi signal too a device that is out of range from the main router.  For my Store I am currently using a Mesh network (Same wifi network and password) with 2 additional WiFi Repeaters for unattached buildings and a few switches to cover my store.

No matter where I am in my business I am able to print to my Receipt Printer that is networked.

Just trying to let you know what a Repeater Network is.  More or less it is a regular network that has a device that connects to the Network and Repeats this network or greater range.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 8 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Thank you so much for that explanation, @Candlestore! So it is essentially the same thing as a WiFi booster? 

Message 9 of 11
Super Seller

@BernadetteA ; Correct, works off the same network and all devices connected to the Main netwrork or the extender or booster would be able to see each other and be considered the same network.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 10 of 11
Super Seller

@TheNorwood ;

Yes 1 recommendation set your printer up as a NETWORK printer.   Go to your router to get the IP address for the WiFi Printer.  Set the Printer up as a Static address so it is always the same.  This Static address would be set through your Router, and you need to see how to do that with your router.  Once you have the Router configured to give the Printer a static address something Like 192.168.1.240 or 10.0.0.240 which is well away from ones your router would set, write down this address to the printer and when setting up the Network Printer tell Square to look for the printer at the address you assigned.  This way when you have a power glitch, the printer will get the same address you told Square it was at.   Every once and awhile, if the power glitches here I loose my Printer it gets some other address and nothing prints.  2 ways to fix this wait it out for a little bit when the router realizes the wrong IP addresses and sends new ones out, or 2 unplug printer after your Wifi network is back running fully which can be up to 5 or 10 minutes if you have alot of devices or multiple repeaters / extenders like I do.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 11 of 11