x
Highlighted

What does the "Invalid location" error mean? Is it because I'm outside the US?

I am traveling out of the US. I need to key in a sale but it is erroring out saying "invalid location"
Is this because I am out of the US or because the zip code is invalid?

Message 1 of 55
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Alumni

Re: "Invalid location"

Best Answer

Great question. You are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. To process payments. 

You can run the sale when you're back on U.S. soil, or have someone back in the states manually enter it for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Alumni

Best Answer

Great question. You are only permitted to accept payments within your country of activation so if you created your account in the U.S., you will need to be physically located in the U.S. To process payments. 

You can run the sale when you're back on U.S. soil, or have someone back in the states manually enter it for you.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 55
Highlighted

Same thing happened to me. My business is in a valid location but I am traveling and got this error. Disappointed!

Message 3 of 55
Highlighted
Alumni

Sorry for the trouble. Our agreements with the card networks stipulate that transactions take place in locations where we support payments processing.

Message 4 of 55
Highlighted

I appreciate knowing this & feared that was the case. Any recommendations for a similar processing company that I can use outside of the US, or, can I use a dofferent email, same bank & open a different square account?  Thanks!

Message 5 of 55
Highlighted
Square

@MOM - Outside of manually entering card details when you return to your country of activation, I don't have any other recommendations. So sorry for the inconvenience. 

Message 6 of 55
Highlighted

What dignifies a location that is supported? I am located in the US, set up my account in the US, and I'm still getting this error no matter what I try. I am in a valid US location.

Message 7 of 55
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @cvar1212, sorry to hear about the trouble you've been encountering. As long as you're in the 50 United States, you should be able to process payments with no issues. I've escalated your post to our Support Team — someone will reach out directly to have a closer look into this issue as soon as possible.

Message 8 of 55
Highlighted

We are having the same issue. In the United States, was working yesterday; suddenly today, we get the invalid location error.

Message 9 of 55
Highlighted
Admin

Oh no @KernMedical

I hope you're up and running already, but if not have you tried deleting and re-installing the app? Also do you use a VPN? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 👀

Message 10 of 55