x
Beta Member

Why does my Point of Sale app 'close' when my iPad sleeps?

In the past week, something has changed:  When my iPad 'sleeps' between customers, it now 'closes' the Point of Sale app... when 'waking up' the iPad, it is now on the home screen and I must tap the icon and 're-boot' the app... it didn't do that before (previously, when 'awakened,' my iPad went right back to the POS app, right were I left off..

What happened, and how do I get that function back?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Square Community Moderator

Hi @DocRoc! Welcome to the Community and also sorry about the late response here.

There was an issue with this going on but should be fixed now. Are you still having this issue? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 29

Hello ashc,

Yes, it is still happening. I wound up buying a brand new iPad, and this lessens the issue somewhat because it reconnects a lot faster than the old iPad, but the app still exits after some time. I have the bluetooth chip reader, the original square for swiping, plus a Socket barcode scanner. All of these have to reconnect once the app exits, and it takes some time.

I thought maybe buying a new iPad would solve the issue, but it didn't.

Alex

Message 23 of 29

@spmuseumtn Ah yep that makes sense. The older iPad models are mostly not as compatible anymore since they can't update to the latest version of iOS that's out. 

The app will always time out after a while but you shouldn't be having to reconnect the chip reader every time. 🤔 Is this all connected to a Stand or is the reader just connected via bluetooth? 

Ashley C
Message 24 of 29
Beta Member

Exactly the same thing with me @spmuseumtn... newest gen iPad, bluetooth chip reader and bluetooth socket scanner: all lose connection to the Square app when the iPad sleeps and closes the app.  You can power the iPad back up, open the app, but it takes awhile for the devices to connect (and they block the screen when they tell you they connect, locking out the interface for a few seconds)... slow and annoying!

My personal workaround is a REALLY LONG power cord (that keeps me tethered to a power outlet) and is cumbersome when passing the device to a customer to sign.

C'mon Square gurus, you guys can fix this!  

Message 25 of 29

So, it's been over a year and this "issue" hasn't been resolved?

Maybe this is how the app is supposed to work for "security" reasons?

Everyone says "you can't put a price on safety" but maybe give us the option to lock the app down that hard after it goes to sleep?

Message 26 of 29

Hi @sweetmello

Thank you so much for the feedback on this feature request! We do timeout the app for your security. 

I understand the need to set your own security settings for your business. I am more than happy to send this to our Product Team. 

Kassi
Message 27 of 29

I’m having this exact issue and it’s plagued me of the past year across 3 different iPads and 2 different chip readers.  It is extremely frustrating, especially during busy spells. Sometimes as little as 2-3 minutes locked and need to reboot everything. Guessing there will never be a fix seeing how this post is years in the making. 

Message 28 of 29

Hi @Mpptools627,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry to hear you're still experiencing this issue!

I can imagine how frustrating this would be when you're busy. Are your Square Readers connected via Bluetooth, or the Square Stand? Have you had a chance to try out the troubleshooting steps in this thread?

Please also reach out to CS so the team can file a ticket with our engineers, and bring attention to this issue again. 

Message 29 of 29