x
Beta Member

square stand tip screen freezing

The screen that comes up for the client to tip freezes and I have to force quit the app to get away from it. This results in a pending payment for each attempt. I have to use my phone old-school style to accept payments. This would be okay for a bit if I wasn't using my phone to stream our music. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app already. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Swoodsy!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue with the screen freezing.

Since you've already deleted and re-installed the app- I'd recommend checking the iPad itself for an update or maybe restarting the iPad altogether.

That typically fixes any glitches with freezing like this. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 20
Beta Member

I restarted the iPad and it still happened.  

Message 3 of 20

I'm having the same issue.  Only now it says the transaction went through on my clients bank account but is not showing the transaction on the square screen.  How do I get my money?  I'm super frustrated...

Message 4 of 20
Beta Member

My people are seeing the charge as "pending", then it drops off. I had one customer see two of them because I tried twice. I hope someone sees this and helps us. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I hate the gamble because I don't want to tie up my client's checking account due to a glitch on my end.

Message 5 of 20
Alumni

Hey @krisva -

If your customer sees the charge on their bank statement but you don't see it in your Dashboard, that usually means the transaction was voided. We've already sent a void notification to your customer's bank so it's their responsibly to drop any pending charges. In order to receive these funds, you'll need to reprocess the payment. 

As for the frozen tip screen issues, have you exhausted app troubleshooting? Have you ran into any internet issues recently? 

Justin
Message 6 of 20
Beta Member

Hi, @JustinC. I started there first, and haven't noticed any other wifi issues. Even so, I may restart my wifi just in case...

Message 7 of 20
Alumni

@Swoodsy

Hmm, sounds strange. Usually reinstalling the app fixes most glitchy behavior. If the restart didn't help things, I'd reach out to our Support Team so they can see what's up on the back-end. 

squ.re/contact

Justin
Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

Thank you, @JustinC . 

I'll keep the thread updated in case someone else runs into this. 

Message 9 of 20

This is happening to me right now too. Super annoying. I've updated my device, updated the square app, reinstalled the square app and restarted the device and it's still freezing on the tip screen. The wifi in my office works perfectly since my music is hooked up to it and there's no issue with the music or my wifi on my cell phone.

Did you find a remedy for this issue @Swoodsy??

Message 10 of 20
Beta Member

That issue did eventually stop, but within the last couple of months we bought the Square Register and it has shut down mid-transaction every single day (not every single transaction). I called customer service a couple of times and they sent me a new one. That one is shutting down at a different transaction point now. And it's every single day, but not every single transaction. I don't have time to keep calling customer service because we're a busy salon performing services on customers. I hope they figure something out because this is hurting my attempts to earn and keep my customer's trust. 

Message 11 of 20

Thanks for the response. What gives? You would think at 2021 this super popular platform would have their **bleep** together. I have a super busy massage practice and it makes me look unprofessional. The whole experience is seamless until I go to collect payment. Freaking annoying.

Message 12 of 20
Beta Member

I agree. I've been with Square for 5 ish years now and I've been happy with everything as a whole. It's just super annoying when this stuff happens. My business is steadily growing and I really want Square to stop glitching. Being a business owner in the service industry is stressful enough. We need collecting their money to be the easy part.

Message 13 of 20

Something happened with update that turned my tip screen off.  I didn’t realize this til a client told me he was not given the option to tip.  I then looked back at my other clients transactions and none of them tipped either.  Then I looked in settings and saw it switched to off.  This lost me money.   I’m very annoyed with this.  Please fix this bug immediately 

Message 14 of 20
Beta Member

This happened on our Square Register twice yesterday. We didn't know how to fix it. Both clients ran another transaction for the tip. Then it started working again on its own.

I'm wondering if Square is constantly trying new things and it's causing issues along the way??

Message 15 of 20

This is happening to us as well. The signature screen freezes several times a day, but not every transaction. This results in a lost payment which we have to re-run, and usually results in an additional pending payment for the customer - I know they drop off, but sometimes that takes several days and it's definitely an inconvenience. Square engineering says they're looking into this, but so far no answers. We are fully updated, have uninstalled/reinstalled the app on every device. It's happening on multiple ipads at two different locations, so it's not a wifi issue, as it started happening at both locations around the same time (during the same week, if not on the same day). We really need this fixed.

Message 16 of 20

I should add that we're running Square of Restaurants on iPads.

Message 17 of 20

Hello @porqueno, 

Sorry to hear you continue to have issues with your customer display screen. Did you receive a case number from the team? Can we please get more details on the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

In the meantime, you can take a look at the Display Troubleshooting steps found in this article that may be able to help. 

We will be on the lookout for your reply. Have a good day 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 18 of 20

Same issue happening to me. Screen freezes at the "approved" message. The whole device is completely stuck, no way to even back out of the app, or reach signature or tip screens. Happens almost every time, and definitely losing money from this...

Message 19 of 20

Hey there, @Organicity

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps from above? Or are you still seeing this issue? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 20 of 20