x

using multiple card readers and phones in the same proximity

Hi All,

We are a small department store and are using 10 card readers paired to 10 smartphones at any given time (each card reader is paired to one smartphone)

Our sales associated are mobile and walking around the store to serve customers (similar to the apple store experience)

Often we encounter connectivity issues with the devices

Are the square card readers "capable" of dealing such environment where there are many card readers in a small perimeter? are there any best practices on how to avoid connectivity issues?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I have 4 card readers within 3 feet of each other for 2 Square Stands.  I use two as usb to a charging hub and 2 as Bluetooth (1 to each Stand).  I have found out that sometimes the USB card readers drop for no reason and have the Bluetooth ones as a backup for each stand.  I found out that usually it was my WIFI dropping the stands all together and not really the card readers usb dropping.  I would make sure your devices have a strong wifi or cell signal where you are to make sure that the issue is not the devices loosing internet connection which the card readers need for security of reading the cards.  Switching from wifi repeater to another repeater could have you loose a connection to the internet for a minute, until the device is fully signed in to  the new repeater, even if they have the same passwords.  The card readers being Bluetooth can only connect to one device at a time and should not interfere with other Bluetooth devices.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

Best Answer

I have 4 card readers within 3 feet of each other for 2 Square Stands.  I use two as usb to a charging hub and 2 as Bluetooth (1 to each Stand).  I have found out that sometimes the USB card readers drop for no reason and have the Bluetooth ones as a backup for each stand.  I found out that usually it was my WIFI dropping the stands all together and not really the card readers usb dropping.  I would make sure your devices have a strong wifi or cell signal where you are to make sure that the issue is not the devices loosing internet connection which the card readers need for security of reading the cards.  Switching from wifi repeater to another repeater could have you loose a connection to the internet for a minute, until the device is fully signed in to  the new repeater, even if they have the same passwords.  The card readers being Bluetooth can only connect to one device at a time and should not interfere with other Bluetooth devices.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 2