x

Taxes not showing up at checkout for online store

I have set up the tax rates for my square website, as well as item options. Taxes are not showing in checkout.

Any suggestions how to fix? ThanksScreen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.32.41 AM.png?

Message 1 of 84
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @UAKCTUL 👋

Just wanted to jump on hear and provide a bit more context. Online stores should only charge tax to a state IF you have a business presence (nexus) in that state. i.e. a physical address such as a warehouse or office. If you do not have a nexus for the state you are shipping to, you should not be charging taxes in that state. I highly recommend using the Automatic Tax Calculator for US states as that information is updated consistently to be aligned with current tax rules. 

I also found this 2023 Tax Preparedness pdf guide from Tax Jar, and linked you to the page where they explain a nexus more thoroughly. 😊

Hope this helps you out! 

View Best Answer >

Message 68 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

thanks for the assistance

Message 2 of 84
Admin

Hey @rmt!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community 🌼

Did you follow these instructions in detail? It likely has something to do with your tax settings. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 3 of 84

@isabelle Hi, yes, I've checked out those instructions and made sure they're followed like 10 times. Tried changing things to see if it would work. The taxes showed up once when a feature was labeled as "pick up only", but never again. I am not offering pick up feature.

Message 4 of 84
Admin

Would you mind giving us a call @rmt? I don't want you to miss out on any other sales.

Please feel free to circle back to this thread with any info or solutions you find. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 5 of 84

help! Taxes aren’t showing up on my checkout page. I’ve tried everything.   
my username is BeeStruckBlooms 

Message 6 of 84

This same thing is happening to me right now, did you ever figure it out?

Message 7 of 84

Hi there @BeautyByJas

We can definitely take a look at this for you. Can you please confirm the name of your Square Online store? 

Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 🥳

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 84

This is happening to me also. Can you help? Store name is RAW Body Piercing

Message 9 of 84

Hi @rawbodypiercing 👋 Welcome to the Community!

Can you post a link to one of the items on your website that is not charging taxes? 

Message 10 of 84

It’s working now!  Not sure what I did but it’s resolved.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 84

All of my items. If you put it in the cart no taxes show 

Message 12 of 84

At checkout, sales tax is applied to all my other items except for my black friday deal.  In the items section it says sales tax is there but it's not showing up at checkout.  My online store is Kayli Maier Photography

Message 13 of 84

Hi there! @KMPhotography

We did a test on your account and it does look like tax is showing up when the address is entered. Are you still not seeing tax added on that item?

Ellie
Message 14 of 84

Yeah you’re right 🙂 it’s working! Thank you! 

Message 15 of 84

Message 16 of 84

Hi @galkeristnow 👋 Welcome to the Seller Community! I'm sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your Square Online website. Thanks for including a link to your site, by the way! It's super helpful for us when troubleshooting. 

I tested your website, and see that the tax applied correctly. When you tested it, did you enter the shipping address on the checkout page? The taxes will not calculate until an address is entered since online taxes may not apply to every state. 

Message 17 of 84

I am having the same issue 😕 check checked and rechecked tax info was correct. Tried doing it where it's applied individually to each item, added to item price still nothing. https://morbidlitttlethings.square.site/

Message 18 of 84

Hi @MorbidLittle - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your online items has brought you to the Seller Community 😥

This does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you, which we aren't able to do via the Seller Community. For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Square Online Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 19 of 84

Hello . Sales Tax is not showing up on checkout of my online store. need help. thanks 

Home | NCT GOLD BUYERS (square.site)

Message 20 of 84

Hello there @mfm336 

I can see your taxes are automatically calculated. When this setting is in place Square Online will only apply taxes to States where you currently have a Business location. If you need to charge taxes on every purchase (something I recommend consulting with your accountant or the Department of Revenue in your State) then you would have to configure your taxes manually. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 21 of 84