x

How do I add a privacy policy to my website?

How do I add a privacy policy to my online store ?

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi and hello @CharmedByCarol 👋

Typically, you'll find the Privacy Policy within the footer of a website, so that's where I'd recommend putting yours! First, create a new page and title it "Privacy Policy". Next, you'll head over to your Square Online Dashboard > Website Edit Site scroll down on the left-hand side until you see the Footer section - click here.

Next, click into the Navigation section of the Footer settings (make sure this is toggled ON), and click Customize Navigation, then + Add navigation link to add a link to your Privacy Policy into the footer of your website. 

I'd recommend selecting Standard page, then select the Privacy Policy page we created earlier, and Save!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi and hello @CharmedByCarol 👋

Typically, you'll find the Privacy Policy within the footer of a website, so that's where I'd recommend putting yours! First, create a new page and title it "Privacy Policy". Next, you'll head over to your Square Online Dashboard > Website Edit Site scroll down on the left-hand side until you see the Footer section - click here.

Next, click into the Navigation section of the Footer settings (make sure this is toggled ON), and click Customize Navigation, then + Add navigation link to add a link to your Privacy Policy into the footer of your website. 

I'd recommend selecting Standard page, then select the Privacy Policy page we created earlier, and Save!

Valentina
Message 2 of 20

That teaches us how to add the link to the Footer but I fail to see where you input the policy itself (the actual text that people read)? Please advise

Message 3 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Hi @GardenOfBling 👋 I can step in for Val here in her absence. You would include the Privacy Policy information to the new page that you've selected to create, and then simply link that page to the footer.

Let me know if that gets you where you need to be!

Joe
Message 4 of 20

I don't see how to add the actual Policy text to the new Privacy Policy Page. How do you do that? 

Message 5 of 20

Hello @PauletteP 

In order to add content to your newly created Privacy Policy Page you can create Sections as needed. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Message 6 of 20

This is great information! Thank you for providing this! 

Message 7 of 20

Once You have created your Privacy Policy to your business and created a page for it on your Square Site - you then create the link in your footer for easy client access.  OK I got that - now the page that I created does it just sit there accessible as another way for people to find that information or should it be hidden? Please advise. thanks! 

Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

Great info!

I have one additional question. How do I make a clickable link to my email address in the privacy policy section so they can contact me if needed? 

Message 9 of 20

Hi @EricLivesay How did you add your privacy policy section? You should be able to make part of the text a clickable link. 

Highlight the text, then select "add link" on the left. You will see a dropdown with the option to choose "email link" 

Message 10 of 20
Beta Member

AHHHH! I see! I didn't know that little symbol was for adding links. Works like a charm!

Thanks!

Message 11 of 20

So glad to hear! 😊

Message 12 of 20

I have a link from termsfeed.com for my privacy policy. How do I add it to my website?

Message 13 of 20
Alumni

I've moved your post to this thread where I provided some steps related to featuring a Privacy Policy on your website, @JessMe90. Following these steps, you can create a Privacy Policy page right on your website, and add a footer link so that visitors can easily navigate there while staying on your website.

Since you mentioned having an external link, it sounds like you may prefer to add that link in to your footer navigation. To do this, you'll follow the steps above, but instead of selecting Standard page from the drop-down menu in the last step, you'll select External link. I hope this helps!

Valentina
Message 14 of 20

Hello,

I'm trying to add my Privacy Policy to my square site as advised from the answers here. I have successfully added it but I realized that I'm not sure how a square website operates in terms of acquiring information from its users. I'm not well acquainted with the standard information that websites usually collect but would you say that the following info below is how the data is collected?

"When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device.

Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically collected information as Device Information."

I just found this on the web as a standard privacy policy for online stores but then I don't even know if this is what the square websites collect. Please advise. Thank you.

Message 15 of 20
Admin

Hey @galatheya,

Thanks for reaching out!

The ability to add a privacy policy to your Square Online website is designed to let your customers know about your own businesses privacy policy and how you plan to use their information.

So you don't need to put Square's policies here, as they don't apply to how your business uses customer information.

You can feel free to place a link to Square's policies from your home page if you think it is necessary for your customers to read within the original context, though it's probably not necessary 🙂

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 16 of 20

Hello.. I need clarity on this statement.. So you're saying that I don't need any policies to sell my products on Square.. and if I don't feel so secure about Square's polices alone . that I can then add my policy to SQUARE'S policies and that will be ok???

Message 17 of 20

I have read that Square can formulate a Privacy Policy Generator if you dont have your own privacy policy - which I do not. I cannot find anywhere how to use the Privacy Policy Generator - Please HELP ME!!!!

Message 18 of 20

Hey @merks1,

I googled your question and wasn't able to find anything we offered like that. Not sure where you had heard that from but Weebly offers templates here.

Our site is powered by Weebly so I'd suggest using this!

Ashley C
Message 19 of 20

I read it in the Square help option when I was editing the website!!! BUT I did figure out that I could find a template on Weebly so I have used one of theirs. Thank you for replying

Message 20 of 20