x

How do I switch my Square Online site template?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Customize action button text for Featured Items in online store?

How can I change the text of the action button to be something other than the default text of "Shop Now?"

Message 1 of 91
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

You should be able to switch templates, and the text within this button will be different depending on which template you're using, @umamikushi! It sounds like you're currently using the Shop All template, but you may want to use the Order Online template instead.

To switch templates, you'll start by heading over to your online store editor (Square Online overview > Website > Edit Site). Click the Pages drop-down in top left-hand corner, find the Category Pages section, click the three dots, then select Switch template.

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 12.06.38 PM.png

Once here, you'll be able to switch between Shop All and Order Online. It's currently not possible to edit the text displayed on this button. See below for a screenshot including the descriptions of these two templates. Please let us know here if you have any other questions about this!

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 12.05.03 PM.png

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 91
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @TaniaClear - sorry to hear your frustration. There are only two different layouts to choose from - Shop All and Online Ordering. Hopefully we implement more options down the road.

In the meantime, I moved your post to a thread that walks through changing the layout.

Justin

View Best Answer >

Message 81 of 91
90 REPLIES 90
Alumni

I appreciate the screenshots, @omartout!

I was able to dig in a little more here, and these steps should allow you to switch templates from Order Online to Shop All. Start by heading to your website editor, and clicking the + Add button, then select the Page option:

Selecting Page will take you to the menu below, and you'll want to select Shop from here:

From here, you'll be able to switch to the Shop All template, and should see the option to add Category pages once you've switched templates. Let us know if you're still having trouble getting where you need to be with this!

Valentina
Message 64 of 91

It worked, thanks!

Message 65 of 91
Alumni

Yay 🎉 I appreciate you letting me know this worked, @omartout - super helpful, just in case someone else runs into this!

Valentina
Message 66 of 91

@Valentina ,

I was having the  same problem with navigation and category pages that @omartout had.  If I switch to the Shop All template, will I be limited to just one page to list all the items I will be selling?  The problem I have with that is that I'll be selling thousands of unique items and the single page scrolling like in the old Square would be really exasperating to customers. Instead I was thinking of doing nesting pages -Women>Bracelets>Cuff.  I've been fighting the navigation links to get bracelet to be a sub of women and cuff a sub of bracelet. I thought organizing by category might help, but not if it means all items are on one page.

Thanks

Message 67 of 91

Forget my message above.  This is the answer I needed.  It worked.  Thanks!

Message 68 of 91

I set up my retail website a few months ago and just randomly picked a layout.  Now I want to change it.  The only info I can find seems to indicate this is not possible.  Nowhere did it state you could not change the layout once published!!  Am I missing something?  Why is this not available?  I am paying for the upgraded version.

Message 69 of 91
Alumni

I found the thread you're looking for. I merged your post so you see the best answer up top ! @HeartToHand

Justin
Message 70 of 91

If you're using the Square site via Weebly, is there a way to change your theme? I can't stand the theme that my site has and I'm almost ready to cancel the site because I can't find a way to look at/choose a different theme. If I can't change it, I'm canceling the site because I hate the theme it has now.

Message 71 of 91
Admin

Hi @hazelandmoon- Check out the Best Answer here.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 72 of 91

I'm not talking about that - I'm not a restaurant. I want a theme with a better layout. Like being able to put the navigation menu in a sidebar, not across the top of the page. Also, I want the *entire* site layout to change, not just the "shop all/order online" page, which is the only page that changes when you use that layout. I want a theme that doesn't make my store look like every single other Square Online Store out there.

Message 73 of 91

Hi @hazelandmoon,

While the answer provided does show you how to switch between a 'shop all' theme and an 'order online' theme on the Square Online Store, it misses the themes that Weebly provides for 'I just need a website'. When signing up through Squareup, you do not receive these options. In order to get the themes that are shown on Weebly's themes page, you have to currently sign up an account directly on Weebly and choose 'I just need a website'. Your 'I just need a website' website can sell items and function the same as a store, but you get a different editor than the Square Online Store. If you sign up on Weebly and choose 'I need a website with an online store', you get the Square Online Store editor.

Honestly, it is massively confusing as there are two sets of documentation, none make reference to this. To make it even more confusing, you have a Weebly domain when accessing the Square Online Store editor. As far as I can tell you cannot access the Weebly Editor from the Square Online Store editor, the only way to get those themes is to sign up another account directly on Weebly.

Weebly Signup

WeeblySignup.png

Weebly Editor (themes on top)

WeeblyEditor.png

Weebly Editor Select A Theme

WeeblyEditorSelectATheme.png

Square Online Store Editor

SquareOnlineStoreEditor.png

Message 74 of 91

Unfortunately, I've used Weebly before and despise them. I was skeptical when it showed me that Weebly was powering the SquareSite Store, but thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, the web dev in me just can't deal with the utter lack of customization (honestly, Weebly itself is just as horrible) so I'm going to close up and just create my own store elsewhere.

Message 75 of 91

Definitely understand, I am at a similar point due to the lack of customization, features, and adequate documentation. I suspect that we'll see improved functionalities in the Square Online Store editor in the future, as there will have to be to compete. I'd suggest taking a look at Wix, you can still have Square as the processor there.

Message 76 of 91
Beta Member

This is driving me a bit batty. How do I access these themes https://www.weebly.com/themes

for my online store?

Please and thank you for any help.

Message 77 of 91
Alumni

@CoffeeScience - When using Square Online to build out your website, you will have two templates to choose from: Shop All and Order Online.

I've moved your post over to this thread where @mattd explained the difference between templates when building a Square Online website and themes available when building out a website using Weebly's editor. This should help provide some clarity around what you're seeing!

Valentina
Message 78 of 91

Thank you for providing the clarification that NO ONE at Square/Weebly wants to.  10/10.

Message 79 of 91

I have looked into this over and over and I'm super frustrated. I went to create my online store and the theme/layout I initially started with was the Instagram layout. I change my mind. I don't want to use that layout. I want to delete this and start over and go through the wizard but can't! No matter what I have done, it keeps the instagram layout and I can't delete it. I have done the reset default and I have previous threads. This has been a constant frustration. Someone please delete my store so I can choose a different layout. I don't want the instagram one anymore! I want to go through the wizard again.

Message 80 of 91
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @TaniaClear - sorry to hear your frustration. There are only two different layouts to choose from - Shop All and Online Ordering. Hopefully we implement more options down the road.

In the meantime, I moved your post to a thread that walks through changing the layout.

Justin
Message 81 of 91

Really wish y'all hadn't changed Weebly's options in such a drastic way. Their drag & drop was so much easier to understand than this. I'm having a hard time figuring how build here. 

Message 82 of 91

OMG!!!!! I'm going to scream or tear my hair out!  I'm in the same boat!  When you choose the instagram layout, there is no sell or order option to choose from!  You can't follow the freaking instructions Valentina posted about and you keep redirecting people to!  Please help!!!!!

Message 83 of 91
Alumni

Hi @ suzy_weber, 

We have verified that the steps above are correct. I recommend reaching out to our support teams here for further information or additional help.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 84 of 91