x

How do I connect my new chip Reader?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 70
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can connect your new contactless and chip reader wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy or by plugging the USB cable into the hardware hub on your Stand.

To connect your reader wirelessly:

• Press and release your reader's button to turn it on.
  • Go into your device settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Open the Square app and tap the three lines, then Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader. (On an iOS device, you can tap Contactless + Chip Reader.
  • Press the reader's button for 3–6 seconds to put it into pairing mode.
  • Release the button as soon as you see the orange flashing lights. If the lights turn red, you've held the button too long and need to try again.
  • When your reader appears on the screen, tap it. That means it's paired. The reader will be listed as Ready in the app.

Have a look at the video tutorial below, and learn more in our Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

Connect via Bluetooth LE:

Connect via Square Stand:

If you're having trouble with your connection... 

• First, make sure you're using one a compatible device at http://square.com/compatibility.
  • Then, check that your device's iOS or Android operating system us up to date
  • Finally, confirm that you're running the latest version of the Square app.

This article has more troubleshooting tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting. If none of these steps work, I will escalate your issue. But hopefully we can figure out the issue to save you the extra back and forth.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Alumni

A few things:

Which app did you download? The Point of Sale App (white & gray and resembles a square target)

What reader do you have?

Have you checked if the reader is compatible with your new device? 

@Ray52

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 64 of 70

Where do I get instructions for the charging and operating my Square Contactless + Chip reader?

Tags (2)
Message 65 of 70

Here's a short 'n sweet guide@dwalker206!

Find additional step-by-steps on checking the battery, charging, and connecting your reader in Square's Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

This post was edited in 2021.

Message 66 of 70

HI

It;s been a while since I used the card reader in its charging stand,and I've forgotten what to do.Can someone please help me?

I out in a test sale of $1 using my own card,but nothing happens after that.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Message 67 of 70
Admin

Thanks for your post and welcome to Seller Community, @alliecatspots!

It looks like your attempt was successful in processing the $1 charge. I'm merging your post into a different thread which has a video that might help.

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 68 of 70

I will receive my card reader and dock tomorrow. Could you send me the link for the video, as well? Thanks!

Message 69 of 70
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Mercylou - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Congrats on your new reader!

Here's the link with the instructional video.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 70 of 70