x
Beta Member

Comp codes used on gift cards do not show up on Comp Report

Previously we tracked store credit in a book. We had comp codes for various reasons store credit was being used. When someone used used store credit, we applied the appropriate comp code and manually updated the book. We could run the Comp Report to see when the credits were used. It was not ideal but it worked ok.

Then we switched to gift cards for store credit. When the gift card is sold, we apply the appropriate comp codes. This is better because we don't have to track the value in a book. The card handles it.

BUT - these transaction do not appear on the Comp Report. 

I'm guessing that Gift Cards are a "special" item that causes them to transcend the mudane earthly concerns of mere reports. But this is troubling for me. Do they also not show up on other reports? Can I trust anything related to Gift Cards if they so willingly refuse to play the reporting rules?

Ideally, I'd like a way for Gift Cards to stop trying to pull rank and start acting like a regular item, at least when it comes to reporting.

Please advise.

--Douglas Gale

EDIT: I am aware of this question: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Comping-gift-cards-for-giveaway-s-but-Comp-Sales-... but the only explict answer given seem to apply to the Discount Report

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi again @UglyBaby! Just to follow up here - we recently added two more columns to the Comp Report. From your online Square Dashboard click Reports > Comps > then click the + icon in to the right to view the Gift Cards Comped and the Gift Card Amount Comped columns.

I hope this is helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hello @UglyBaby! I I took a look and you're right, Gift Card sales are not currently included in the Comp report on your Square Dashboard. This is already on our Reporting team's radar but I'll share your experience with them to highlight how important this is to your store. I'll also post again here to let you know if/when Gift Card sales have been added to this report. 

In the meantime, as a workaround could you try adding a note to the sale for these transactions? You can then see the notes in the Item Sales report. (You can also view each gift card and its associated transacitons from the new Gift Card Overview section of Dashboard.)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 8
Admin

Best Answer

Hi again @UglyBaby! Just to follow up here - we recently added two more columns to the Comp Report. From your online Square Dashboard click Reports > Comps > then click the + icon in to the right to view the Gift Cards Comped and the Gift Card Amount Comped columns.

I hope this is helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 8

I have comped several items (freebies to customers, donations to orgs, etc.) and seem to have everything set up correctly to report the transaction through the POS by tapping the item at checkout and selecting a comp reason. However, when I go to inventory counts, the items have not been removed and they are not listed in the Discounts & Comps report. What am I doing wrong? Are those being reported somewhere else?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey @petaled_branch,

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details on getting a Comp report specifically. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 8

Yea... I had found this thread, but it doesn't address my situation. I'm not looking at gift cards. I'm saying none of the items I've comped are showing up in the comp report. So, a couple things about this thread that don't make sense to me:

* The Best Answer above says to go to Reports > Comps from the online Square dashboard. I have nothing on the online Square dashboard that gets me to Reports. I can only get to Reports from the main Square dashboard. So, I'm wondering if I'm already doing something wrong and am in the wrong place??

* Even from the Comp Reports that I can get to from my main Square Dashboard, it says I have no transactions that have been comped in this year. But I've comped at least four items just in the last month or so. Why aren't those showing up? They aren't in the Comp reports and they haven't been taken out of inventory.

Message 6 of 8

Hello!

We have vouchers our employees use for a free cookie. I set up the comp button and did a trial run. I can see the comped item under Activity Log but I don't know the reason (birthday, customer complaint, etc) for the comp unless I open the transaction. For accounting purposes we need to code our comps by category. Is there a report option? It would be great if it showed up under daily sales summary. 

Any assistance appreciated! 

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @LuckysBakehouse!

I moved your post to an existing thread that shows how to view Comp reports on the Dashboard.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8