x

Dashboard session timeout

Within the last week or so, Dashboard started logging me out after a period of inactivity.  This is annoying as I'm used to being logged in all day and coming back to it as needed, and now I have to log back in MANY times a day.  Is there a way to turn this off or adjust in settings or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 166
4 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer
Mackenzie here from the Product Insights team – I definitely hear the frustration in the thread, and agree that this change could have been handled better. Although from one perspective we've fixed the bug that kept everybody logged in indefinitely, I completely understand how the bug resulted in new workflows that you relied on – workflows that were disrupted when we implemented a fix without warning you ahead of time.

Your account security is our top concern, and we're always evaluating how to balance safety with experience. I hear your desire for customization, and I've let our product management team know so they can track the request. For now, we'll probably be leaving the timeout as-is, so I recommend using one of the password tools mentioned elsewhere on the thread to help make the experience a little more convenient.

Thanks again for your patience and feedback.

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 166

Best Answer

If you are using Firefox the 'Auto Reload Tab' extension by Alan Ramsey may help:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/auto-reload-tab/

The extension allows you to set a time interval, after which, the page will be reloaded,

keeping the session kept alive. It has pre-set intervals that can be selected or you can

add you own interval time. It also provides the option to reset the timer whenever

you react with the page (type/click) so it will not reload while your working.

I haven't lookd but there may be similar extension/add-ons for other browsers.

Seems to me that this it the feature that Square should provide intrinsically.

View Best Answer >

Message 96 of 166
Super Seller

Message 97 of 166
Beta Member

Best Answer

While a fix from Square would be ideal I use 'Super Auto Refresh Plus' extension for Chrome.

It's free, works on several pages and you can set the refresh times.

Typical for me is the main Square PC dashboard page on auto refresh for every 15 minutes.  This way if I need to enter a customer, create an invoice, etc. I'm logged in all day.  I just have to remember to go back to the home page when I'm done or it will time out.  It remembers the page you set it on so even after shutting down it will be on automatically next time you open that page.

View Best Answer >

Message 123 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

Fine. But. I am the only one who uses this computer. I don't understand why Square cannot set up a "log me out after <x> minutes or hours.  Why can't you make this an option?  And if someone wants to be logged out every few minutes, then let them.

Message 127 of 166

I appreciate your response. To clarify, my frustration is not so much with the timeout itself. I'm accustomed to having that with lots of systems over the years. My browser of choice is the Windows version - which may be part of the problem, but the software should work on industry standard browsers - and there is a loop that keeps logging me back out even when I've just logged back in. That is a bug - not a feature. Once that loop starts, it's really a matter of waiting several hours for Square to forget that it's logged me out. Chrome does seem to behave better, but everything else I'm doing is in the Windows browser so Square is still forcing me to work around it rather than working for me. Thanks!

Message 128 of 166

Used the iOS app on tablet a lot.

For phone orders I have the desktop web page.

But on the App I can stay logged in for days.  Wake the tablet up, and start right away.

The desktop times out and I have to login every single time.  This is a nuisance when I'm on the phone.  It never asks me to remember login session.

Is there a fix for this?

Message 129 of 166
Alumni

@LauraBotsford

Square Dashboard is expected to time out periodically due to inactivity as a security measure. However, it looks like one of our Super Sellers recommended a Google extension that will keep the Dashboard session active. 

Take a look at the best answer at the beginning of this thread. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 130 of 166

So far, you are the *only* answer to my question. What is the Google extension?

Message 131 of 166

The recommended google extension says it can make changes to all your websites. I don't like the sound of that. 

Message 132 of 166

I found that Chrome was set to never remember my password for this site.  That's fixed.  I no longer have to type a 24 character email and a 12 character password if I do something else for an hour.

However click login again, and the dashboard can take 30-60 seconds to come up.

Desireable behaviour:  It never asks for a password to take a payment.  Can ask for a password to use other sections besides virtual terminal.

Message 133 of 166
Admin

Hey @LauraBotsford-

Thanks for that suggestion. Perhaps that's something @sheilalowe can try.

As for your feedback on requiring passwords for Virtual Terminal payments, I think that's a great idea. I'm surprised we don't have team permission/security settings more developed for the Dashboard just yet. I'll make sure to pass this insight along to the appropriate team. Thanks again. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 134 of 166

It's been 3 months.

It isn't fixed.

This is one reason we are looking at alternative providers.  Right now I'm paying square about 2K/year.  I should NOT have to buy a replacement reader when my breaks due to your sloppy engineering.  I had a HP calculator in 1980 that got run over by a car.  It was scuffed.

I have had one offer that would drop my fees to about $600/year, but they could not take card not present payments.  This is my busy season so I'm not about to do the mistake the liver fluke made and change streams in the middle of the horse.  Come fall...

Seriously guys:  It's the little things that keep customers loyal.

* having desktop software that doesn't get in your way.

* having readers that don't break if you drop them on the floor.

* having a case to protect a reader in your pocket, toolbox, or glove compartment.

* having a reader that is instantly obvious when you are holding it upside down.  (Big shinny gold square logo on the top side?  Right now I write on the bottom with paint pen:  "Other side up!")

Message 135 of 166

This is ridiculous. Square needs to address this!!! Looking over this and other similar threads, Square has been ignoring their customers for over 2 years!!!

At the very least we should be able to choose a longer inactivity logout time. When I'm creating items in the back office, interruptions are frequent. If I get up and help a customer or employee and don't make it back in time then all my work is lost and I must start again. I installed a Chrome refresh extension but that doesn't work unless it's just sitting idle at the homepage.

Please, please, please, please listen to your customers and make a provision for those of us who do NOT want out back office to log out every 5 minutes. 

Message 136 of 166
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @409Creations - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community and voicing your thoughts. We hear you, and we want you to know we monitor each to thread to give the most up to date information we can.

We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business.

These requests also span an array of different aspects of our products; some are more major, while some are periphery features. Our Product Teams do have a road-map for future additions to our offering, but the nature of our work includes trial, error, and set-backs. So sharing a timeline would be far from accurate and more than likely cause more confusion and angst. 

Again, we appreciate your understanding and patience. We will be sure to reach back out as we have more information to share.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 137 of 166
Beta Member

The dashboard seems to want to log out due to inactivity, I am working a report and it will log me out.  I change pages, and it logs me out.  

VERY frustrated.

Message 138 of 166
Admin

So sorry for the frustration @HumblePies. As @JustinC mentions above on this thread, there's a Google extension that can help which is suggested here.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 139 of 166

The google extension you suggest says it can change anything on a website. That doesn't sound desirable to me. 

Message 140 of 166

I would echo the request to let this be something customizable by the Admin.  Our appointments last JUST long enough for this to timeout.  Our practitioners don't need another techy hiccup to deal with MULTIPLE times every day.  If we could just set it to stay up for even an hour, that would solve our issue.  Thank you for considering this and hearing the concerns.

Message 141 of 166

Yes. 

I don't want to add an extension to google Chrome -- I want Square to stay logged in for a reasonable time -- at least 90 minutes. For security, I don't let my browser remember my financial passwords, so I have to re-enter a lengthy password way too often when I'm doing work on Square.

For the $10K/year we spend on Square fees, I expect better. It is disappointing to see this problem persisting for two years with no resolution and just a lot of blah blah from Square. Setting up passwords that are automatically remembered is NOT improving security.

Message 142 of 166

I FINALLY found the fix for this issue! We've been ignored by Square long enough - switching to Shopify now.

Message 143 of 166

Would it be possible to extend the period for which a user is logged into the Square Dashboard? When you're working in it regularly throughout the day, it's really inconvenient to be kicked out so frequently. I understand you can auto save login info, but it's still frustrating to have to go through that process every time you pause to do something else or step away from your computer for a minute. Thanks!

Message 144 of 166

We are also requesting an update to allow us to stay logged in. We are trying to tend bar, service customers, monitor a large patio and pull orders for online pick-up orders and Square logging us out (and the way it sometimes does it with no indication that we've been logged out) is definitely a time killer when we can't afford it. Furthermore, we don't see the security benefit in our setup.

Message 145 of 166
Beta Member

My appointments page on my laptop at home keeps signing me out if I am not using the page. Its my home computer. It is annoying I cant just open a page directly to my calendar. I have to sign in, click appointments, then to calendar page.  Isn't there a way to just open up to my calendar page? 

Tags (1)
Message 146 of 166
Admin

Hey @HairByBobby- The Dashboard will time out after a certain time for security reasons. I moved your post here, though, so we can keep the same requests housed under one thread. That way if our Product Team ever decides to make a change to the amount of time you're able to stay logged in, everyone on this thread will be notified.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 147 of 166