x

Feature Request: Allow customers to set a specific pickup day or time when ordering online

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Why is weebly not allowing selection of pick-up day

I have set up open hours in the Weebly setup. But customer interface only shows 1 day as available for pickup.

Message 1 of 172
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Setting specific pickup dates for online store?

Thanks for asking about this, @margaman1, and welcome to Seller Community. We don't have a way right now to set pickup available for specific calendar days as opposed to setting a recurring schedule for each week. I'm moving your request to a different thread so you can be easily updated about any new feature changes for scheduled pickup/delivery.

2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

As long as you have adjusted your pickup settings set properly, your customers should be able to schedule a pickup date and time after inputting their personal information, @Baking1.

When your customer is ready to checkout, they will click the shopping cart in the top right-hand corner, and then click the Checkout button. Once they click this button, they will be taken to a page where they need to enter in their personal information. After they've filled this out, and pressed the Next button, the Store Pickup section will expand. At the top of this section, your customers will have the chance to choose between two options:

In order for your customers to be able to schedule a pickup, they'll want to select the Schedule for later option. Once they do, as long as you have set your available pick up hours, they will see something like this:

If you're not quite where you need to be after taking a look at this, please share your online store link with us here so that we can take a look at the checkout flow - I hope this helps!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 172

Best Answer

Hi, droidbaker. I'm in sort of the same boat but maybe our workaround will get you through. 

We just launched something called 'Weekend Things" on our site which can be ordered for Saturday, Sunday or Monday (this Monday because it's a holiday) ONLY. 

There is no way to do this within the Square/ Weebly universe right now; I know this because I've posted about this many times already. The best it can do is set a "time from order" -30 minutes to 2 weeks I think- but not a specific date which would require a calendar function which it currently doesn't have. 

Our workaround was to create a forced modifier set that makes the customer choose their preferred day in order to place the order. Check out the Strawberry shortcake here:

https://order.openfacefoodshop.com/weekend-things

Unfortunately, the order confirmation will tell them it's ready whenever the setting for that items says it it's ready (30 minutes- 2 weeks) but we put obvious disclaimers on the page telling people that it's incorrect and that it will be ready when they choose.

It works most of the time but new customers still get confused and call us about the discrepancy (frustrating) but we use it as an opportunity to be nice to them and hopefully let them see the humans trying to make a new and limited system work. 

Until there is a dedicated calendar function built into the system, that's the best we've been able to come up with. Hope that gets you through until the feature is there. 

Mark

Open Face Food Shop

View Best Answer >

Message 47 of 172
171 REPLIES 171

Is there a way to default orders to be scheduled for pickup and not giving them the option to pickup ASAP? I need my customers to pick the date and time so I don’t have to spend so much time scheduling the orders. Is there a way to get rid of the default? It was a setting in the previous square store not in the new weebly version. 

Message 64 of 172
Admin

Hi @N9NE25CreativeThis thread discusses how setting the scheduled pickup as the default option is currently a feature request. We'll keep track of the need for it here and do our best to share any updates if they become available.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 65 of 172

+1 for this feature. Needed it YESTERDAY.

We want to remove the ASAP option entirely so customers have to choose a pickup time. Very confusing as is, plus it potentially means we're seeing a bunch of orders for pickup "after 4:00" (whatever that means) when that might not be the customer's intention.

On top of that, the ASAP selection seems to ignore the limits we have put on orders - I set a limit of 3 orders per 15 minutes but that doesn't impact the "after 4:00" that shows up for ASAP orders. So I might see 10 orders  come in, all showing pickup "after 4:00" - and if they all actually show up at 4, we're pretty much screwed.

We've already had to figure out workarounds for order cutoffs (totally manual) and select pickup hours (entirely different business hours and pickup hours set by location). One more workaround is going to break the whole thing. Straws, camels, backs....

Message 66 of 172

We have the same exact problem. The "as soon as possible" function is super confusing and most customers do not click thru to select a time. square is taking way too long to fix this issue even though much of the community has asked. when will this be fixed??

Message 67 of 172

I want to have customers order by 3pm then have it cut off. any orders after 3pm must be called in, but in order to do anything like that I have to change my business hours to close at 3:30 because I put 30 minutes to prepare the food, so it cuts online ordering off at 3pm....but then I have to change my opening hours. The whole thing is a mess. I'm looking for efficiency, id like to know what I have and how to prepare a little before we start serving food.

thanks

Message 68 of 172
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Showells33 I have merged your post with an existing thread that may help answer your questions. A lot of sellers are experiencing similar issues as you and while we are tracking all the feedback that has come in, you may be able to get some solutions from @pessosices @OFFSMark or @Baking1

Thanks in advance!

AshleyK
Message 69 of 172

No @AshleyK , we need the IT team to create a solution.  If I (or any other user) had one, this thread would not exist.

Message 70 of 172
Super Seller

Many of my customers find scheduled pickups to be very confusing. When they go to their cart it shows their order is available for pickup on the next available day/time, and many customers think that is the only time available. 

I keep having to explain to customers that they need to go to through the checkout process in order to get to the scheduled pickup option. 

I had one customer tell me his thought process: "I don't want to pickup my order today after 1pm, I want to pick it up on Sunday at 10am." He became frustrated because he saw no way to select a pickup time. This particular customer decided to message us on Facebook, but he said that he was considering abandoning his cart.

How many sales am I losing because customers don't know that they can select a pickup time? Why is this feature hidden halfway through the checkout process? 

I feel like I must be missing something. Is there a way for customers to choose their pickup time in the cart? For example, instead of seeing "Pickup - Wednesday after 9am," they instead see "Pick up at: [select date] [select time]". 

Message 71 of 172
Alumni

Hey @londontea - right now, customers can only select pickup within their cart. Hopefully we improve in this area soon. 

As for allowing customers to schedule a pick up time, enable this from Settings > Pickup & Delivery > Edit location. Scroll down to click Pickup Settings, then toggle on Do you want to allow scheduled pickups?

The toggle looks like this:

Justin
Message 72 of 172
Super Seller

I do hope that y'all are able to make pickup times appear in the cart soon, I know it would be a huge help for a lot of us. I do have scheduled pickups enabled, but it's causing a lot of friction with customers who don't realize that they have to go through the checkout to select a time. 

Message 73 of 172

Thanks for adding your voice here in support, @londontea. We hope to be able to share some positive updates on this front soon. We appreciate your patience.

Joe
Message 74 of 172

Very interested to see the positive updates on this - its definitely a source of confusion for our customers.

Message 75 of 172

Any update on this yet? 

It seems like an easy first step would be to remove the initial pickup message.  Or change the message to say "Pickup day/time will be chosen during checkout".

Showing the default pickup day/time is just confusing.

Message 76 of 172

@PieOhMySTL If it ever does become available we'll be sure to update the thread!

Ashley C
Message 77 of 172

We have given up on Square/Weebly making any updates to the pickup and delivery scheduling functionality. We found an app called OrderSpoon that allows for future pickup and delivery scheduling. We are working with them now on setup. You might want to check them out.  

Mark Deskus
Message 78 of 172

Thanks for sharing what is working for you, @plantcakes! We understand needing to find a solution that is best for your business. 

Joe
Message 79 of 172

We have given up on Square/Weebly making any updates to the pickup and delivery scheduling functionality. We found an app called OrderSpoon that allows for future pickup and delivery scheduling. We are working with them now on setup. You might want to check them out.  

Mark Deskus
Message 80 of 172

Thanks for the referral, Mark. Let me know if it works the way you are expecting. 

Does it integrate well with your POS?

Please send us a link to the site you so we can all see it!

Mark Houck

Message 81 of 172

We are having the same issues with pickup and delivery scheduling... We are using Weebly for our bake shop. The current pickup and delivery functionality is causing major customer confusion. 

Pickup:

When customers place items in their shopping cart the message is displayed 'Pickup - (NEXT DAY WITH PICKUP HOURS IN PICKUP TABLE) after (CURRENT TIME PLUS ORDER PREP TIME)'. Most customers fail to realize if they continue clicking through the check-out process they will eventually come to a screen that allows them to 'Schedule for Later'. First, remove the message 'Pickup - (NEXT DAY WITH PICKUP HOURS IN PICKUP TABLE) after (CURRENT TIME PLUS ORDER PREP TIME)' and add a generic message that says 'Available for pickup'. On the checkout page in the 'Pickup time' section remove the default selection 'As soon as possible'. Force the customer to select a specific pickup date and time based on the available pickup hours and applicable prep time. 

Delivery:

Update the delivery settings to allow 'scheduled deliveries'. Force the customer to select a specific delivery date and time based on the available delivery hours and applicable prep time. 

Mark Deskus
Message 82 of 172

Having read through all the posts Pickup & Delivery time options are very limited and nothing seems to happening as far as solving our issues re: putting up a confusing pickup time on the cart; only allowing the user to select pickup time option during checkout and not having the ability for businesses to set a fixed pickup time for certain items.

As a user has said, this might work fine for a pizza shop but there are many other business trying to use Square who have widely different requirements.

We have a coffee shop and have just started a 'prepared meals at home service' one day a week. The main daily online ordering is working OK apart from the confused messages noted by many before. The issue I have now is the same as for the bakeries and farmers' markets where customers must order in advance for a pickup on a certain day/time range. In our case for this single item (special weekly meal to go) customers can order up until Thursday noon for collection Friday:noon–5pm. Despite putting up special instructions in the item description and the like customers are confused when it tells them to collect on the wrong day.

There are uncomplicated fixes to this but it takes a willingness on Square's part to make things happen. One fix would be to allow businesses to input one or more actual day/time ranges in the Online Store>Edit item>Pickup & delivery prep time setting for each item or even a short line of text to tell the customer when they can pick the item up would help. The current prep time drop down is just not sufficient for so many of us. So instead of Square calculating a pickup time from the various parameters it just puts up what the business tells it to.

I did try a workaround by setting up an alternative location name (at the same physical location but with different opening times) and by configuring the once a week meal service to only use this location. The problem then is that the store always asks all customers which location they want to use which is, of course, utterly confusing! Anyway, that's the best I could think of.

So I will have to email every customer that has ordered to ignore the pickup time they have been sent by Square and collect Friday. Not good.

If this was Open Source software we would have this all done and dusted by now.

Thanks.

Message 83 of 172
Super Seller Alumni

Another IMPERATIVE feature to add is to create a "store hour/day" calendar in the backend of Weebly so that I can "Close Down" the store on certain days MONTHS in advance throughout the year... aka, when I'm trying to use the "preorder" feature, I can't prevent people from picking up ON Thanksgiving because there is no date to turn "off" per say. 

I wish this was open source. 

Message 84 of 172