x

Known Issue with sending Square Messages (11/29/22 - 12/14/22)

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Square Messages is currently experiencing issues sending text messages."

Is anyone also having problems with text messages failing to send. And receiving this message:

“Square Messages is currently experiencing issues sending text messages. Messages may not send as expected.”

Message 1 of 157
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Mtbresnan, @Zeuspmu, and @allisonlrhoades - Thank you all for posting here in the Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are being impacted by the ongoing issue with Square Messages.

This particular issue has been taking a little longer because we are working alongside a third party in order to resolve it. Our engineers and our Square Messaging Product Team are aware of this issue and are currently investigating a solution with third-party mobile carriers. 

In the meantime, we will continue to update issquareup.com with the latest details. Sorry that we have not been posting updates as often on this one. We don't have new information at this time, but this issue is certainly prioritized by our engineers and they are still working on it. We thoroughly appreciate your patience and understanding until this is fully resolved.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions by replying to this thread. 

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 157

Best Answer

Hi all - I wanted to come back to this thread to let everyone know that this issue has been resolved and our Messaging services are fully operational.

Your patience was greatly appreciated while our engineers and third-party partners worked on getting this resolved. I know that not being able to use a tool due to technical issues can be extremely frustrating and can have a severe impact on your business.

We apologize for any repercussions this feature outage has caused. I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 157
156 REPLIES 156

The message hasn't been resolved. I've been using the text message with clients for years and now whatever change or 'fix" has taken place has caused clients to not opt in for messages.  

This is a big problem and my communication with clients is suffering. 

Email is not great to use because of filters and the abundance of emails people receive.

Something needs to be done.

Message 43 of 157

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT fixed. Today, I am still unable to send text messages to clients. I have the option to send an email. However, this is NOT an efficient form of communication in 2023. This issue started in December 2022. It should be fixed by now. This is ridiculous.  

Message 44 of 157
Beta Member

I am still unable to send messages through Square. Online I am getting an error message saying "Text messages can be sent as a reply to your customer's message.", but on the app the error message says "The customer has unsubscribed from receiving text messages."

Either way, I cannot send messages and none of my clients have unsubscribed.

Message 45 of 157

It has not been fixed for my business.  Can someone contact us to see what can be done.  This feature is important to the growth of our business.

Message 46 of 157

The feature is not coming back, as confirmed by my rep yesterday.  It is not something they view as broken that requires fixing.  She stated:

• The ability to text customers from a business falls under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act which is Federal law requiring businesses to get expressed written consent from consumers using mobile devices before sending them text messages. Messages in breach of TCPA compliance may result in fines up to thousands of dollars. 
  • Due to TCPA compliance, sellers moving forward will only be able to text customers if that customer replies to a text, opting them in to receive text messages.  
  • Once a customer replies however, you should be able to communicate freely with that customer moving forward. 
  • To help initiate customer replies to appointment reminders, we would suggest customizing email reminders to say something along the lines of "please reply 'Y' to text message reminder to confirm your appointment time". In the meantime, the team is working on the ability to customize automated text message reminders for appointments, however we don't have a timeline for that feature launch. 
  • Another way to help get customers to opt into text messages would be to enable text message marketing. It's my understanding from the Marketing Team that if a customer opts into text message marketing, that will also opt them in to receive text messages through appointments. I know this feature comes at an additional cost however, I'm happy to extend an additional month free on top of the free 30 day trial you get when signing up to decide if this may be a solution/ give you some additional time to help opt more customers into text messages. Square Text Message Marketing FAQ

Why Square can't simply have the customer opt in to receiving text messages at the time of booking is beyond me (a simple check the box that is required to book would suffice).  In fact, I believe they already do this.

Message 47 of 157

Hi. My messaging is all messed up. Can't send texts

Message 48 of 157

Hey there @beautifyme and welcome to the Seller Community 👋

Square has made a few updates to Square Messages to minimize potential disruptions in the future, and we’re happy to share that we’ve restored chat functionality with your customers who reach out to you via SMS. These communications will now be dependent on your customers starting the conversation by replying to service messages, like a receipt, appointment reminder, or order update, just to name a few. Square is also working to re-enable unrestricted outbound messaging capabilities early next year. 

JJ
Message 49 of 157

We know it is dependent on our clients now to reach out to us. But that is not what we are asking for. Hopefully that last comment of "re-enable unrestricted outbound messaging early next year" means January 2023. Please listen to your users and bring back the functions that we enjoyed about this service. I will start paying for the monthly square+ subscription once this messaging issue is back to the way it was.

Message 50 of 157

The fix is very easy.

We cannot alter the automated text confirmation that is sent from square… but SQUARE can ! Please change the automated text message to read “ reply yes to this text to enable communication “.

EASY. That way, at least some people will reply to the text to initiate us being able to text message.

@BriaMayMassage @Mtbresnan @beautifyme @gbc8 @_Violet 

Message 51 of 157

Still can not message my customers. We know it is dependent on our clients now to reach out to us. But that is not what we are asking for. We want to initiate via text messages.

Message 52 of 157

hi @JJ_  what is the timeline to re-enable unrestricted outbound messaging capabilities? Many customers of Square is really having a big issue with this feature. I'm astounded this fix doesn't seem to be an important item for the support team to fix, is it because the team doesn't feel it is important? I'm trying to get some insights and maybe you can lay some information for those of us scrabbling as well. This has definitely lead me to start to look for alternatives and potentially switching to other pos including "appointments" which I also pay a subscription fee for. If I can't message my clients and am being restricting to do so, I just don't see any use of all this.

Message 53 of 157

@_Violet 

The fix is very easy.

We cannot alter the automated text confirmation that is sent from square… but SQUARE can ! Please change the automated text message to read “ reply yes to this text to enable communication “.

EASY. That way, at least some people will reply to the text to initiate us being able to text message.

Message 54 of 157

This service is still not functioning a month later!! 😡

Message 55 of 157

Has anyone found an alternative to square? Unfortunately this has severely dampened my business and I’m now being forced to look for other processing and ways to communicate. If they won’t listen to concerns, I’m not giving them anymore money. It’s ridiculous. We’ve signed up with another processor already but looking for alternatives to send messages besides adding an additional phone line for texting capabilities 

Message 56 of 157

I just learned that Square has changed messaging permissions within Appointments and no longer allow, even if the customer has agreed to receive messages, Businesses to initiate communication with a customer.  I cannot for the life of me comprehend any rational explanation for this shift.   Essentially, my understanding is, in order to send a message to the customer, they must first send a message to you.  That's great when they have a question but, in order to maintain top notch customer service, I sometimes also have to reach out to them.

If relevant, specifically, my business regularly has to initiate communication with customers (we are a barbershop--barbers get sick, run behind schedule, etc.).  The previous ability to communicate via the same message that confirms the customer's appointment was seamless.  Forcing us away from the ability to text message directly with the client feels like a return to the Stone Age for our business that prides itself on modernity and customer service.  It is simply the nature of the world that customers are far more likely to see and respond to a text message than they are a call from an unsaved number and many do not regularly check their emails on file with Square.

Anyone else affected by this?

Message 57 of 157

HI, you can review the Square Messages information on these Support Pages.   

https://squareup.com/us/en/messages

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7370-square-messages-get-started-guide

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 7.57.34 AM.png

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 58 of 157

I do not believe this helps.  Unless I am missing something, I believe I am already using Square Messages.  The problem is the functionality of Square Messages was greatly reduced in the last week and I am trying to figure out why and if this is a permanent shift.  I can no longer "reach out easily," as your post suggests I can via Square Messages.

When it was explained to me by a Square Rep, it seemed to be a response with issues Square was having with its Messages functionality.  If Square's response to an issue on their end is to simply gut a feature that other Appointment softwares provide without an issue, this is something I'd like to know.  The feature is a significant aspect of the functioning of my business and it has now been rendered largely useless.

Message 59 of 157
Beta Member

I have not been able to "reach out easily" to my customers since the end of November. This was a key feature for me, and the fact they haven't resolved this is unacceptable. I'm looking into other software like Shopify to see if this is something that they offer.

Message 60 of 157
Beta Member

This 100%. Also being able to have a full customer history has been important for us. We can see all bookings, spending and messages in one place. We’re a high volume body arts studio with 3 locations. We use the text feature to remind people of the requirements we have for their bookings (people don’t seem to actually read those emails). It cut down our unprepared customers almost completely out. Now we turn away several bookings a day because they didn’t bring needed ID’s etc.. 

Message 61 of 157

I’ve had issues with the system just unsubscribing clients that didn’t do it themselves and others that accidentally unsubscribe from text messages. Is there way to get them re subscribe to receive text messages. 

Message 62 of 157

Hello @Christinahutch

After the recent disruptions related to Square SMS Seller will need to re-subscribe to your messages by replying to a receipt text message or an automated reminder message. The product team will share more information about this change soon. Be on the lookout for an email.

JJ
Message 63 of 157