x

My Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader won't charge or turn on. Any ideas?

Last week my contactless and chip reader reader was working just fine.  Today  I try to use it with my first customer.  Not only will it not turn on, it won't even charge.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 64
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@mnorton1230 @Rounded - So sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers! I'm happy to offer some tips that can hopefully get you back in business! 

To get started, I'm going to have you try a couple troubleshooting steps: 

1. Plug in the reader and let it charge for at least 20 minutes.  This will insure that the reader battery is fully charged up (and not the culprit). 

2. While the reader is still plugged in and charging, press and hold the power/reset button for at least 20 seconds to fully reboot the reader. FYI, this button is located on the back of the reader by the USB cable slot. 

3. If LED lights turns on, you're all set. 👍🏻

4.  If lights don't turn on, go ahead and try to repeat the steps one more time. 

If that sill doesn't fix the issue, you can go ahead and process a warranty exchange for the reader.  We will ship out a new one right away! When you send back the old one, our hardware team will be able to take a closer and figure out exactly what happened. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BearlyThere - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Sorry to hear you're having some difficulty with your readers, I can certainly understand how frustrating this must be. Square Reader are covered by a limited one-year manufacturer's warranty if the Reader was purchased via the Square Shop. 

Here, you can return the readers and Square will send out new ones.

I hope this helps. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 64 of 64