x
Beta Member

Symbol DS6707 suddenly not populating checkout on Square Stand (Retail version of Square)

I've used the Symbol DS6707 USB barcode scanner with my Square Stand setup for 4 years with no issues. Suddenly on Friday (6/2/2023) the scanned UPC numbers aren't populating in checkout (I use Square for Retail). I tested the scanner on my PC, and it is scanning and reading just fine. I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting such as checking for driver updates, changing the USB port, scanning the devices factory reset bar code, rebooting everything... and can't get it to work. If I totally reboot the iPad I can get the checkout mode to scan for one sale then it quits populating again. I'm wondering if either my iPad or Square did a software update that's affecting it. It did seem to be that my POS interface looked a bit different but it might be my imagination. Is anyone else having any issues? Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Ginger_Bauer ;

I had the exact same issue on 1 of my 2 stands.  I looked into this and realized the one that worked fine was updated to 6.18.1 while the other stand was showing it would update overnight.  I forced Square for Retail to update and then that stand also worked again.  I use the DS6878 Zebra scanners but they show as symbol 6707 scanners on my Square systems.  

Check which version of Square for Retail you are using on your Square STands Ipads, Bottom right press More-Support-About.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Ginger_Bauer ;

I had the exact same issue on 1 of my 2 stands.  I looked into this and realized the one that worked fine was updated to 6.18.1 while the other stand was showing it would update overnight.  I forced Square for Retail to update and then that stand also worked again.  I use the DS6878 Zebra scanners but they show as symbol 6707 scanners on my Square systems.  

Check which version of Square for Retail you are using on your Square STands Ipads, Bottom right press More-Support-About.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 30
Beta Member

Thanks Candlestore. That solution appeared to work for more than one transaction after I forced the update from 6.18 to 6.18.1 but then stopped working after about 5 minutes. I ordered a new scanner so hopefully that fixes my issue.

Message 3 of 30
Super Seller

@Ginger_Bauer ,

Looks like Square is experiencing Hardware issues....according to the Yellow banner and :

https://www.issquareup.com/ 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 4 of 30
Beta Member

Thanks for that link! I wondered.

Message 5 of 30

I am having the same issue and my Square has the most recent update.  The Square alert says the following:When attempting to complete the Square Shop warranty flow, the warranty reasons dropdown menu is not loading correctly. This is preventing Sellers from being able to move forward with warrantying their product. This issue is occurring on Chrome v114+ and Edge 114+. If possible, we recommend using another browser like Safari or Firefox.

We appreciate your patience as we continue to work towards resolving this. We'll be back with another update as we receive more details.

Would this even effect barcode scanners?

Message 6 of 30
Beta Member

This morning (6/8/2023) a neighboring store lent me one of their DS6707 scanners (same model as I have) and that also did not work. I looked in my hardware section of the Square menu to see if I could completely remove the scanners from the list. I then realized that even though I had rebooted my iPad several times I did NOT actually log out of the Square app and even when rebooting I wasn't required to log in, which leads me to believe you aren't logged out ever unless you choose to log out on the menu (lower corner of screen under "More" then Sign Out). I tried that without even rebooting my iPad and once I had logged back in my scanner started working. I see that there are no issues on the IS Square page so I honestly don't know if what I did fixed it or if Square fixed an issue. Either way, my scanner is now working fine. I hope others' issues are fixed now.

Message 7 of 30

I tried that.  It worked one time and then stopped working again. ☹️

Message 8 of 30

I'm also having issues, both registers are at 16.8.1, both scanners work for 5 minutes and stop. scanners beep, so they're getting power. but nothing shows up on the screen. Tried in the Green Square Retail and the White Regular Square app. Please does anyone have a solution, we are a grocery store and my cashiers are manually entering everything. 

Going to try using our old bluetooth socket scanners to see if that'll bandaid them for now.

Message 9 of 30

We are also seeing the exact same issue. The DS6707 scanner works fine when you first open Square app. If the session (or iPad) times out and you log back in with your PIN, the scanner will not work. Also true if you exit the app to access another app and then go back to Square, the scanner won't work. The only workaround I've found is to manually kill the app on your iPad and reopen Square. Very annoying and not feasible long-term.

It's definitely a bug with new version of the POS application as we have had no issues with this scanner in the past. Also noticed if you go to the Hardware settings and unplug the scanner, Square does not register the fact the scanner is unplugged.

This most likely needs patched via Square app dev team. We've seen some other odd behavior from the latest app updates, but the litany of issues posted on the Support site shows we're not alone there. Add this to the list!

Message 10 of 30

Having the exact same problem in our Museum!!! Seems to have happened due to an update that was done by Square over night on 06-02 into 06-03 2023. This has affected all 3 of our POS systems!
Tech support had me reload the app, it did NOT help!!!!! They have had no other answers so far.

It would seem that a Square for Retail update broke a perfectly working system for a LOT of us, and they don't seem too concerned about fixing it!

How do we roll back to what worked on 06-01-2023??? Square really should test their updates better!!!!

Message 11 of 30
Super Seller

Start Calling Square Supports Number  I am going to try putting it in here of Google Square Support Phone Number.

The best way to get Square to know there is a problem is to call support!  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 12 of 30

We did contact support.  Tried all their suggestions.  They told us it was an issue with Zebra.  We called them and they said it is a known Square issue.  They took down some info and will contact Square.  In the meantime we figured that for us we could get the barcode reader to work with factory reset but it would then go down soon after.  It seems that whenever or ipad goes into sleep mode or you leave the app for any reason, we lost connection.  For now we are leaving on our Ipad and not backing out of app and that seems to work but is not feasible in the long run. Employees can log out on the lower left corner of monitor but must leave log in/enter passcode screen on. We are only having issues with our location that uses Square Stand.  Our Stand Register is not having any issues.

Message 13 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey guys,

We are currently experiencing a disruption with USB Barcode Scanners and the Square Retail app. Our engineers are currently working on a fix, there is still currently no eta. As a workaround please use the Standard Point of Sale App to checkout. 

I know this is a huge inconvenience and cannot thank you enough for hanging in there while we fix this. 

@Ginger_Bauer @Gooddoggallery @KTOR @Candlestore 

Message 14 of 30
Beta Member

We are also experiencing the issue with our usb scanners with our square stand. It seems after the ipad screen goes to sleep or if the app is switched the scanner stops working. We have to stop the square for retail app and reopen it to get the scanner to work again.

Message 15 of 30

@MayaP  Thank you for letting us know there is a fix in the works.  Just FYI, we are using the 'Standard Point of Sale App' and experiencing these issues. It is not just 'Square for Retail'. Please ensure your team is aware.

Message 16 of 30

We're also using the Standard Point of Sale App (not the Retail app) and having the same problem. 

The scanner will stop working but will start again after force-quitting the Square app on the iPad and re-opening it. Leaving the Square app at any point seems to trigger the disconnect. (Though the scanner always shows as connected along the top hardware connection list, whether it is working or not.)

Thank you for working on the issue.

Message 17 of 30
Super Seller

@pblsa ;

I would exit the app and check to see if there is an update for the standard POS system.  Sometimes it will not automatically update right away.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 18 of 30
Beta Member

Since I started this thread I'll recap my experience and the steps I tried. 1: "I've used the Symbol DS6707 USB barcode scanner with my Square Stand setup for 4 years with no issues. Suddenly on Friday (6/2/2023) the scanned UPC numbers aren't populating in checkout (I use Square for Retail). I tested the scanner on my PC, and it is scanning and reading just fine. I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting such as checking for driver updates, changing the USB port, scanning the devices factory reset bar code, rebooting everything... and can't get it to work. If I totally reboot the iPad I can get the checkout mode to scan for one sale then it quits populating again..."  2. "... I forced the update from 6.18 to 6.18.1 but then stopped working after about 5 minutes. ..." 3. "This morning (6/8/2023) a neighboring store lent me one of their DS6707 scanners (same model as I have) and that also did not work. I looked in my hardware section of the Square menu to see if I could completely remove the scanners from the list. I then realized that even though I had rebooted my iPad several times I did NOT actually log out of the Square app and even when rebooting I wasn't required to log in, which leads me to believe you aren't logged out ever unless you choose to log out on the menu (lower corner of screen under "More" then Sign Out). I tried that without even rebooting my iPad and once I had logged back in my scanner started working. I see that there are no issues on the IS Square page so I honestly don't know if what I did fixed it or if Square fixed an issue. Either way, my scanner is now working fine." Summary: There is a difference between "Log Out" from the main screen and "Sign Out" under "More." If I Log Out and log back in , the scanner doesn't work. I then have to Sign Out of the app completely and sign back in.  If you have tried this and have multiple devices, I'd try Signing Out of all of them then Sign back into one and test this method. It's the only thing that has been working for me. I was able to scan for 9 hours yesterday until I "logged out," then I wasn't able to scan until I did the "Sign Out/Sign In" process again. This morning (6/9/2023, 9 a.m.) I was able to scan one transaction, then I had to go through the "Sign Out/Sign in" process again. Hopefully it works through the day.

Hopefully this information will help Square resolve the issue, and we can all get back to scanning without problems.

Message 19 of 30

@Ginger_Bauer  thank you for the summary. We can get the scanner to work if you close the app and re-open it fresh, but it stops working again as soon as you leave the app or if iPad goes to sleep. After you fully signed out of Square and sign back in, did your scanner work if you exit the Square App to access a different app and then go back into Square App? Same question regarding your iPad going to sleep and then opening Square app after waking it up?

I had posted a reply on this thread yesterday, but I don't see it listed for whatever reason.

Message 20 of 30
Beta Member

I tested your question about going to a different app. It does NOT work if I leave the Square app to access another. I don't have my iPad set to go to sleep so I can't test that. I did ask my neighboring store owner what hardware she uses because she isn't having any issues, and she uses the Square Register while I use the Square Stand. We use the same scanner. That seems to suggest it could be related to compatibility between the Square update and iPad.

Message 21 of 30