x

Tap To Pay Feature - Reader Unavailable Secure Session Denial (Android)

I was attempting to use the new Tap-To-Pay feature without a reader and I can't get it to work.  I am not connected to a reader, and I see an orange error banner -- "Reader unavailable: secure session denial"

I have tried turning off NFC (and turning back on), and restarting device. I am running a Pixel 7 Pro, Square Version 6.24.1 Android 13

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I had this issue. I fixed it by disabling "developer options" and then restarting my phone

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CtDMonet - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with Tap to Pay.

Have you also enabled these settings within the Square app?

From the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen, tap ≡ More.

Tap Settings and then tap Hardware.

Choose Tap to Pay >  toggle on to enable.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 9

I am actually having the same exact issue. Using Motorola edge. 

Whenever I toggle It off then turn it back on the orange banner comes back.

Message 3 of 9

Best Answer

I had this issue. I fixed it by disabling "developer options" and then restarting my phone

Message 4 of 9

I have done the suggested step above. My tap to pay is enabled in setting and I am still receiving a reader unavailable, secure session denial. What do I do now?

Message 5 of 9

Hi @Sacredattunemen - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with Tap to Pay has brought you to the Seller Community.

It sounds like your device may be having some trouble connecting to your reader. I recommend following the troubleshooting steps listed here.

Please let me know whether or not that improves things for you. I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 👀

Violet
Message 6 of 9

I am having this same issue. Samsung S21 Ultra 5g. I have enabled NFC in my device setting as well as in the Square app, but I sill have a yellow banner that says "Tap to pay unavailable" at the top of my screen. 

Message 7 of 9

Hi @Astevensmith13 - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏 

To cover our bases, I'd like to make sure that you have followed these steps to enable Tap to Pay on your Android device. Additionally, you can run through these troubleshooting steps too. (Note: If you are using Square for Restaurants, Tap to Pay on Android is only compatible with Samsung A32 5G and Samsung A13.)

Please let me know if these steps allow you to enable Tap to Pay. I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Violet
Message 8 of 9

@_Violet wrote:

Hi @Astevensmith13 - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏 

To cover our bases, I'd like to make sure that you have followed these steps to enable Tap to Pay on your Android device. Additionally, you can run through these troubleshooting steps too. (Note: If you are using Square for Restaurants, Tap to Pay on Android is only compatible with Samsung A32 5G and Samsung A13.)

Please let me know if these steps allow you to enable Tap to Pay. I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

After further research I have found it appears that Tap to Pay cannot work if developer options are enabled. I prefer to keep my device the way it is and do not want to disable developer options as it runs better this way. 

I hope square can update their app to work with developer options enabled, as this is the only app I have issues with. 

Message 9 of 9