x

Why can't I enter the expiration date when manually entering a card?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: I am trying manually enter a credit card but it won’t allow me to enter the experation year]

Trying to enter a payment manually but when I get to the month and year it won’t allow me to the use in

Message 1 of 234
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My card is deactivated. Why are expiration dates on the card freezing?

I've moved your post to this thread as it sounds like what you're experiencing is related to the expiration date issue we had our engineers look into, @mdr_moore. Please take a moment to update the Square app on your device(s), and things should starting working as expected for you!

233 REPLIES 233
Admin

Hey @Spider!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Are you receiving a specific error message when you try to manually enter this card? 

Let me know so I can look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 234

Was there an answer to this?  I’m having same issue.   No error, just won’t enter.  I need to put in 01/21, and 21 won’t go...but 33 will (as one example).

Message 3 of 234

Same issue here

Message 4 of 234
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Rybrandd and @Rockman2011!

Our engineers are aware of this issue and they're currently working on a fix for it.

For now- you'll need to manually enter payments on the Virtual Terminal through the Dashboard instead of the app as a workaround.

Thank you for your patience as we work to fix this!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 234

Just tried 01/22 Tw I’ll not take the 22. Turns red

Message 6 of 234
Alumni

Sorry for the troubles, @Rthdoyle - our engineers are aware of the expiration date issue and are currently working towards a resolution! I've moved your post to this thread where @ashc provided a workaround in the meantime.

Valentina
Message 7 of 234

I am having the same issue...would be nice if customer support were available 24 hours every day.  I had my client check their cc company and we are both frustrated.

Message 8 of 234
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @theartistgroupe -

Thank you for reaching out about your issue with Manual Payments. 

We are currently experiencing issues with that form of payment. There is a workaround you can try to take the payment. You will want to use the Virtual Terminal on you Dashboard. 

Keep an eye out on issquareup.com for updates while our engineers get this fixed. 

Kassi
Message 9 of 234

Hi!  Was there a fix determined for the issue with manually entering the expiration dates?  We are having trouble with this on all of our iPads.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 234
Admin

Hey @Cupcakin! Thanks for checking in about this issue! Are both the POS app and iOS updated?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 234

Has Square Engineering found a fix for not being able to manually move past card expiration year? I’ve tried updating my iPad OS and also Square as recommended but that hasn’t helped this problem. Also, it’s not a consistent problem. More of our patients are opting for phone appointments to lessen Covid19 exposure and we need this feature to work consistently! Please help!

Message 12 of 234

I am seriously considering trying another payment application because of this problem!

I have been on the phone with support numerous times over the past month.  The fact that I can't enter expiration dates manually is completely slowing us down.  Yes, I can move to the Virtual Terminal but it takes longer and it's more expensive!  Here is my latest communication with support:

Hello again, Josh,
  I am determined to fix this problem.  I just used my own credit card which has an expiration date of 01/23, and I tried combinations of numbers.  With an expiration month of 01 I can only enter a 3 or a 4 in the year place (not a 2).  With an expiration month of 02 again I can only enter a 3 or 4 in the year place (not a 2), same with expiration month of 03.  But when I put an expiration month of 04, I can use a 2, 3, or 4 and that happens for every month following (05, 06, 07......12).  There is something glitchy with the number 2.  And there is some kind of pattern.  Please let me know what you find out.
thank you,
Mary

Hi, thanks for reaching out to Square Customer Success!

I'm sorry to hear that the issue with your Square App persists. 

I want to make sure we can get this resolved as quickly as possible, so I’ve escalated your case to our engineers for further review. Your case number is: 52390050.

We’ll follow up with you as soon as more information is available.

Message 13 of 234

I am hesitant to attempt a credit card over the phone for fear of wasting a guest's time.  Do we know if this has been fixed yet? For restaurant's this couldn't be a more awful time for this to not work and am seriously considering different options.

Message 14 of 234

still having the same trouble with the manual date entry.   Very frustrating considering  switching to a new payment method. Please help !! 

Message 15 of 234

Hello Mike 

I had the same issue For the longest time on my IPad only. I deleted the app entirely( make sure you don’t have any offline payment) them turned my iPad off and back on and reinstalled the app. It magically started working . Try that and see if it works for you too. I know a lot of people have this issue and there is no good answer out there. 
good luck 

Gelareh 

Message 16 of 234

I turn my ipad off and re-started and deleted the square app and re-installed. Still did not work. This is ridiculous!!

Message 17 of 234

I am having the same issues with the date. Trying to put 01/23 and it Won’t let type in the 3.  I tried to put in other numbers in there and it worked. But it will  not put in the 3 part of the 01/ 23

Message 18 of 234

Have you not fixed in a year.

Message 19 of 234

I’m just now looking at some of the dates on here… This is December 2020 how has this been not resolved in almost a year?

I’m officially going to look into cash app and Venmo to see if they offer some sort of swipe or credit card reader now. This was an issue before corona and coders work from home anyways LOL I’m just mine blown that this problem has been known and not addressed for almost a year

Message 20 of 234

Just wanted to provide another data point, yes, same thing me too, I lost out on a $190 sale that I really wanted before Christmas, I forgot to bring my swiper, and looked really like I didn’t have my act together to the customer as result. I thought maybe it was because my phone was damaged in someway though it is not. 

it gave me no message it acted as if that region of my touch screen or the number two was was just completely unresponsive

Message 21 of 234