x

Why can't I enter the expiration date when manually entering a card?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: I am trying manually enter a credit card but it won’t allow me to enter the experation year]

Trying to enter a payment manually but when I get to the month and year it won’t allow me to the use in

Message 1 of 234
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My card is deactivated. Why are expiration dates on the card freezing?

I've moved your post to this thread as it sounds like what you're experiencing is related to the expiration date issue we had our engineers look into, @mdr_moore. Please take a moment to update the Square app on your device(s), and things should starting working as expected for you!

233 REPLIES 233

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Anyone else having trouble manually inputing expiration dates]

Is anyone else having trouble manually inputing expiration dates? Whenever I try to manually input an expiration date that begins with 01 the app won't allow me to put in the year after the month.

Message 22 of 234

I also am having the same issue, I have verified that I have an up to date app. Tried it on a different phone and still the same issue

Message 23 of 234
Alumni

I've moved your post to this thread where @ashc has addressed the troubles you're currently experiencing, @Resistance2014 and @CandTStorage. Please hold tight while our engineers look into this, and take a look at the workaround provided here in the meantime. Thank you for your patience!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 234

Yes I am having the same problem with expiration dates that begin with "01/22)". Dates beginning with 02/22 are transacting well. I'm not getting an error but the color red pops up and locks the card out.

Message 25 of 234

Still having issues, but randomly.  so frustrating.

Message 26 of 234
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @FreemanT1 - this definitely sounds frustrating, for sure.

Have you flagged this over to our Support Team? If the listed troubleshooting steps aren't resolving the issue for you, we may need to take a deeper look to see where the issue lays.

We will keep an eye out for your contact!

Joe
Message 27 of 234

We’re having an issue manually inputting credit cards expiration dates. It started in with January expirations (in January) and they won’t “take”. 01/24 for instance couldn’t be manually entered. The same problem has occurred for every month since then - for that month.

Is this a known issue? Is there a work-around? We take cards frequently over the phone and this is a REAL bummer.

This is for "Square for Restaurants".

Message 28 of 234

Hi there, @cbenson - thanks for flagging this over to us! Sounds strange, indeed.

I've moved your post to a Similar Thread of Sellers who were also experiencing this issue with manual card entry payments. Let's try a bit of troubleshooting - would you mind walking through these software steps and see if they make a difference? 

Keep me updated! I want to make sure this gets resolved for you pronto.

Joe
Message 29 of 234

Square will Not let me manually punch in a debit card 

For a gift certificate sale .. caller gave me all information an I'm trying 

Keep getting kicked off site 

Message 30 of 234

Help

Message 31 of 234
Admin

Hey @CseaSac-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community, and sorry to hear you're having trouble entering the exp. date for manual card entry.

Have you tried updating the Square app? Let me know if that does or doesn't work. I want to make sure we get this figured out. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 32 of 234

the keypad on my iphone will not input #2 on expiration year; e.g.23

Message 33 of 234
Admin

Hey @meyerg30-

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble processing manual credit card entry payments.

Please take a look at the best answer in this thread, and try to update the Square app. As long as you have no payments pending in Offline Mode, you should be able to just delete the app off your device, then re-download it to do a full reset. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 34 of 234

This response is stunning, especially after coming in here late to the game and seeing you responding to this same complaint since at least February knowing full well this is a Square issue.  Come on, Isabelle. You can do better than that!

Message 35 of 234

Hi there, @WILDGURLINDIAN - thanks for reaching out here and letting us know about your issue. So sorry for the trouble here.

Would you mind clarifying the issue that you are seeing when manually entering a card? - are you receiving an error message? Also, are you using the mobile app to take payments or the Online Dashboard virtual terminal?

I've merged your post into a separate thread of Sellers who were also experiencing issued taking CNP payments. There are some helpful best practices here on this thread that may be useful.

In the meantime, I will keep an eye out for your response! I want to make sure this gets solved for you.

Joe
Message 36 of 234

Seems that this issue is merely getting “engineers are looking into  it”. Plenty of time to resolve snd yet it hasnt been done. Anybody have a good Square replacement company? This is costing us lost time and sales!

Message 37 of 234

Hey @Flyakair,

You should contact our direct CS team to take a closer look with you and so you could have an individual ticket filed for you if this is still occurring.

We can't help further from here on the Seller Community. 

Ashley C
Message 38 of 234

I had the same issue! I just deleted the app and reinstalled it again and it worked 😀

Message 39 of 234

Same. 

Message 40 of 234

Hi @KKL1

Sounds like the card is expired, which is why the system won't let you enter the expiration date. 

Let us know if you run into issues with a different card so we can troubleshoot. 

Thanks

Frances
Message 41 of 234

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Manuel Credit Card Payment]

Trying to enter a credit card manually for a mail order, and when I try and enter the expiration date it will not allow me to use the number 2, if the number is in the credit card its fine but won't take it with the expiration date.  Has anyone had this issue before and any idea how to fix it, its on all 5 of my square registers so i'm pretty sure its not the iPads themselves. 

Message 42 of 234