x

Why can't I enter the expiration date when manually entering a card?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: I am trying manually enter a credit card but it won’t allow me to enter the experation year]

Trying to enter a payment manually but when I get to the month and year it won’t allow me to the use in

Message 1 of 234
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: My card is deactivated. Why are expiration dates on the card freezing?

I've moved your post to this thread as it sounds like what you're experiencing is related to the expiration date issue we had our engineers look into, @mdr_moore. Please take a moment to update the Square app on your device(s), and things should starting working as expected for you!

233 REPLIES 233

cannot enter digit 2 with keyed entry in the Expiration Block ie. 3/23  the 2 is locked--only there!!!

Message 190 of 234

So.... reading through this thread is seems as if the answer is:

If you have a device that runs iOS 9, you're screwed because Square refuses fix the last version of their app that is compatible with iOS9 devices.

If you buy a new iPad that will run iOS10+ you can update the app and it works fine or keep a PC handy so you can log into the Dashboard and enter card info there.

One would hope that a "final" version for a particular operating system would not have silly glitches that force the end user to upgrade hardware.

Message 191 of 234

So before I found this thread it was advised to delete the app and reinstall to fix the date thing. Now it says the Square app is no longer available so I can't even swipe transactions. This is very frustrating. 

I am using a iPad Mini. Anyone else discover a solution?

TIA

Message 192 of 234

POS is not allowing the expiration date of 1/25 to be entered. Gets the 01 in then will not allow the zero. I read all the other posts related to this and my app is up to date. Is this an issue with Square or with my Ipad.

Thanks!

Message 193 of 234
Square Community Moderator

Hi @IRONMANFAB,

I've moved your post to the existing thread for this issue.

Please contact our direct CS team if your app is updated and you're still experiencing this issue so they can file a ticket for you. Thank you!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 194 of 234

Where is the existing thread? 

Message 195 of 234

Am trying to enter 4/23 for 2 different cards and am not able to. Why???

Message 196 of 234

This is a pretty confusing forum, I can't tell what is really going on. There seems to be another thread....besides this 16 page thread....that I can't find. 

I am on an iPad Mini that is four or five years old at least. Not much more. But it seems to be running some older iOS that they don't want to support anymore. Or Apple doesn't, or someone doesn't. They want to move on - I get it. During an upgrade to SquareUp software or iPad software it doesn't support manual keying in of dates other than 1. I am guessing here. Unless you are on the newer OS system and then you can do it. Upside I did get to learn how to key in a transaction on my computer. 

Good luck. 

Message 197 of 234

Can’t put in year on manually 

Message 198 of 234

I am trying to process a credit card manually, please advise why is the expiration date not working. How can I fix this? 

Message 199 of 234
Alumni

Are you receiving a specific error message when you try to manually enter this card? Have you tried any app troubleshooting? Is your device's OS up to date? 

Let me know so we can look further @Esther3

Justin
Message 200 of 234

When I use manual card entry, it will not accept a "2" in the first space for the "YY" date

Message 201 of 234
Alumni

I've moved your post here as it sounds like this is what you're experiencing. When you have time, please update the Square app on your device and ensure that your device's operating system is updated, @RobertAustin.

This should do the trick, but if it doesn't please reach out directly so we can take a deeper look.

Valentina
Message 202 of 234

Valentina, really? Look at all of the posts saying the same thing. It’s time for a real solution. 

Message 203 of 234

Please help.  I am having the same problem.

Message 204 of 234
Admin

@dentmachine Have you gone through the troubleshooting that JustinC mentions above? If you've gone through those steps and are still having issues entering the date, go ahead and contact our CS team so they can look into it with you.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 205 of 234

If the ones who work for Square will look around it’ll be obvious that this is a glitch with the system. Please stop advising people to try “this or that” when we all are having this problem and it is obviously a Square issue that needs to be fixed!

Message 206 of 234

YES.  Look, Square had some sort of attack that cost a lot of us money a few weeks ago.  This is gonna happen.  And I have some threshold to accept this.

But this entry issue?  COME ON.  Get it together.  It's a known problem that has been around for a long time now.  FIX IT.  Do what you need to fix it.  

Message 207 of 234

same here. Some cards works. Some do not year.

Waiating time here. 

Do work square. Do not just jackup fees

Message 208 of 234
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Mrmoo,

As mentioned above you'll need to contact our direct CS team to look into this further with you and file a ticket if need be.

There's no further action we can take in the Community. Thank you!

Ashley C
Message 209 of 234

I'm amazed that this issue hasn't been fixed yet.

I haven't been able to read every post on this thread (there are too many of them!)

I have noticed though -

THE ERROR OCCURS WHEN ENTERING A MONTH PRIOR TO THE CURRENT MONTH WE ARE IN. WE CAN ENTER THE MONTH WITH NO PROBLEM BUT IF IT IS A MONTH PRIOR TO THE ONE WE ARE IN, WE CAN NOT ENTER THE DIGIT 2 FOR THE YEAR. FOR EXAMPLE -

(WE ARE IN JUNE)

11/20 IS FINE

09/21 IS FINE

07/24 IS FINE ETC

ANYTHING UP TO JUNE (06) WILL NOT WORK

02/27 WILL NOT WORK

05/21 WILL NOT WORK ETC

Please fix this problem Square.

Message 210 of 234